Light-O-Rama Forums

laser beams endanger planes

ainsworth

This was one of the headlines on Yahoo news today. I can understand how this could be a problem for a pilot landing a plane. However I see this as yet another excuse for the government to regulate something.

If you use a laser beam in your show; Make sure it isn't pointed at the air space above an airport at any time during your display. If you think you will want to use a laser in your display in the future I would buy one now while you still can.

I live in a town that has a Naval Air Station for training of pilots. Never would I want to endanger these guys. A little common sense goes a long way.

Trust me its not fun being hit by one of these. I was landing in Columbus Ohio and on final was hit with a laser. It temporarily put spots in my eyes. I asked the other pilot to land the Aircraft. People think its a joke and don't think that it could kill many people by doing this. I bet they would feel like crap if someone died. They wont think its funny when Bubba is taking care of them in jail.

Thanks Don, ruin my idea ;). I totally agree with NOT pointing them in the air where it can effect flying, but at a street light sensor, have at it!!

Brian's right, I was blinded a couple months ago in Denver from 2 miles away, other pilot had to land.. Denver PD never found the guy.. next time it happens I'm gonna dump the lavs on his house.

Dont use lasers, dont point them at the sky. You want to see what we see? Watch this.

http://www.pangolin.com/faa/laser-aircraft-animation-and-explanation.htm

TJ Hvasta wrote:

Brian's right, I was blinded a couple months ago in Denver from 2 miles away, other pilot had to land.. Denver PD never found the guy.. next time it happens I'm gonna dump the lavs on his house.

Or said another way, "pointing a laser at some pilots can get you in a pile of "s**t..."..

hahahahaha!!! I'll just say that I was probably a dive bomber pilot in a previous life :)

And thank you Tim.. its still a lot of fun, the day it turns into a job is the day I find a different line of work :)