Light-O-Rama Forums

LOR Enclosures

Guest guest

I haven't been sucessfull in finding the proper weather resistant LOR enclosure.

I beleive Dan is still working on a last effort for the end of October.

What are you using to weather-proof your boards?

Mine have no choice, they must be outside, enlosed in weather-proof boxes.

greenmeanie wrote:

I bought three of those boxes and they don't fit the 16 channel version.

Hmm. Interesting. I've seen pictures of someone using this enclosure and the 16 channel version.

Care to share some pictures of it not fitting? Any chance they shipped the wrong controller?

robogeek wrote:

greanmeanie

I have 2 boxes and the boards fit with plenty of room to spare. I have pictures to prove it would you still like to say they don't.

Perhaps next time we could post without being ... uh... rude?

Let's hear the whole story first, shall we?

Sorry about the Rudeness, I just worked hard this weekend putting the boards in the boxes and try to help someone and then someone else comes and shoots you down saying they won't work.

robogeek wrote:

I just bought 2 of this Weatherproof box and it works well, they are inexpensive, at $8.50 with $7 dollars shipping per order I bought 2 for 24 bucks.

These boxes work just fine with the 16 channel controlers. There another post about using these very same boxes, with pictures... see below. I have 3, 16 channel controlers in these very same boxes.

http://planetchristmas.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=7132&forum_id=25&highlight=ed

Thank you Ed, for getting my back, I posted links to the thread, and my blog that both had pictures on them, evidently no one followed the links.

Robogeek

PS. here is the link to my blog again... With pictures of the box and videos of a couple of my sequences

Link

robogeek wrote:

Thank you Ed, for getting my back, I posted links to the thread, and my blog that both had pictures on them, evidently no one followed the links.

Robogeek

PS. here is the link to my blog again... With pictures of the box and videos of a couple of my sequences

Link

Robo,

I looked at your site. Doesn't mitigate the fact you were rude to the gentleman who said it couldn't be done. We don't know the whole story ... and we probably never will. (As I'll bet he has no interest in coming back in to say why it didn't work.)

Get a grip, will you? No one attacked you. (Unless you call this an attack. It's not. It's a message to tell you to mellow out.)

Understood Don, I understand you are trying to keep a welcoming tone, I apologize about my behavior. And I will try to be nicer from now on, after all we are trying to put people in the christmas spirit aren't we?

Thanks for the level head.

Back to the original topic. I sure hope Dan is able to pull it off and get some custom LOR enclosures in. I've used up all my Ritetime enclosures that I bought a couple years ago and still have a couple boards to mount.

dslowik wrote:

Back to the original topic. I sure hope Dan is able to pull it off and get some custom LOR enclosures in. I've used up all my Ritetime enclosures that I bought a couple years ago and still have a couple boards to mount.

Amen to that.

The enclosure in this thread, however, may be my second choice.

Yeah I was sort of waiting for LOR enclosures, but I couldn't wait any longer. I have no clue what the pricing for the LOR enclosures would be, but I doubt it is even close to $8.50. I ended up buying three for a little more than the price of one box from Home Depot. I also got some fun electronic parts.

John Pidliskey wrote:

What are you using to weather-proof your boards?

Here are a few pics to give you an idea. The first is the same multimedia enclosure with an eight channel board. The second is a Hoffman 12" communication enclosure with cover and window. I didn't want to bog the thread with 8.8meg of images, so there is a link at the bottom if you'd like to see higher resolution pictures.

8 Channel Board
8channelLOR1.jpg 8channelLOR2.jpg

You've already seen this allelectronics.com enclosure. It has made its rounds in the forums. It fits an 8 channel card perfectly, and the grounds are screwed together, I just covered the whole thing with eletrical tape. I might buy a grounding stripe for it eventually so I can mount it to the box.

16 Channel Board
16channelLOR1.jpg16channelLOR2.jpg16channelLOR3.jpg16channelLOR4.jpg

The only "GOTCHA" with this enclosure is you must mount the din rails upside down. Otherwise, the LOR board is too tall and the heatsinks prevent the lid from being closed. If you mount it as shown in the picture, it works great. The Hoffman enclosure is technically rated NEMA 12, which is NOT an outdoor rating. However, after seeing this baby and its locking mechanism, I would have no problem using it outside. Nema 12 means it protects against light splashing of liquids. I can tell you I have to use all my weight pressing the lid down to be able to get the box to lock, and it locks tight. I used a water bottle with a "squirt cap" to forcibly squirt water the seal of the enclosure, no problems there. I think it may not be rated for outside because I can see possible icing issues. Water can sit at the top of the enclosure directly on the seal. While it doesn't leak, the formation of ice could cause a problem. You could easily fix that with duct tape I imagine. I probably would duct tap the top of this unit before putting it outside. They also sell 16L" x 12H" enclosures that have 16 holes plus the two big ones, which means you don't have to label your cables.

Bigger images are available at http://lorsequences.com/pc/lorboard/

Feel free to ask me any questions.

• 4 weeks later...