Light-O-Rama Forums

Made the Paper

captainron19

Reported called me the other day wanting to do an article and they put it on the front page of today's paper.

The photographer got an awesome pic of a little girl watching the lights from in the car with the reflection of my arches on the glass.

Photos below

Attached files 226928=12520-lights1.jpg

Very Nice article! My favorite is "People have been saying to me 'Your a fireman and you can't get anything on the roof?!' "

Putting lights on the roof was one thing I did add this year.

Jeremy B.

Attached files 226947=12523-9656623.jpg

brownjm74 wrote:

Very Nice article! My favorite is "People have been saying to me 'Your a fireman and you can't get anything on the roof?!' "

Putting lights on the roof was one thing I did add this year.

Jeremy B.

OH I hear it all the time form my guys at the firehouse! What is that method you are using in your image you attached for lights on the roof?

Its all 1/2" PVC that outlines the roof. The "legs" you see on the ridge are filled with concrete for weight to keep the PVC on the roof during high winds. On top of the PVC, I have 4 eyelets that hold up a piece of 1/4" steel rod per 6' of PVC pipe. Then I made up "Super Bundles" of RGW lights and then zip-tied them to the steel rod. I will post some "close-up" photos this weekend. Some of the angles I made by slowly heating the PVC with a MAP Gas burner (for silver soldering copper water pipe) then bent it to the angle I needed then cooled with water.

Jeremy B.

A few more photos can be seen here: http://www.brownchristmaslightshow.com/2010-cmas-lights-photos.html

brownjm74 wrote:

Its all 1/2" PVC that outlines the roof. The "legs" you see on the ridge are filled with concrete for weight to keep the PVC on the roof during high winds. On top of the PVC, I have 4 eyelets that hold up a piece of 1/4" steel rod per 6' of PVC pipe. Then I made up "Super Bundles" of RGW lights and then zip-tied them to the steel rod. I will post some "close-up" photos this weekend. Some of the angles I made by slowly heating the PVC with a MAP Gas burner (for silver soldering copper water pipe) then bent it to the angle I needed then cooled with water.

Jeremy B.

A few more photos can be seen here: http://www.brownchristmaslightshow.com/2010-cmas-lights-photos.html

Awesome - will have to remember that technique for next year. What are you using for your mega tree? Kind of looks like a telescoping flagpole but couldnt be sure. Mine got toppled down last year also form a big windstorm but the changes I made to it this year are holding up so far (knock on wood) - had 30mph sustained winds the other day with 40mph gusts and it didnt budge

You are correct, I'm using a JUMP (Jack Up Mega Pole) I did have it at 30' until a wind storm bent the top of it. So I cut the top 1" pipe down to 4' and with two guy wires it hasn't moved. Keep my fingers and toes crossed :P.

Jeremy B.

There's more info about the JUMP here:

http://www.brownchristmaslightshow.com/mega-tree.html

brownjm74 wrote:

You are correct, I'm using a JUMP (Jack Up Mega Pole) I did have it at 30' until a wind storm bent the top of it. So I cut the top 1" pipe down to 4' and with two guy wires it hasn't moved. Keep my fingers and toes crossed :P.

Jeremy B.

There's more info about the JUMP here:

http://www.brownchristmaslightshow.com/mega-tree.html

I heard that! Mine is a 20' sunsetter but my second section from top bent last year- luckily I got that section replaced and back at full height this year.

I altered mine a bit...

1. Decreased lights on it (got ride of the color leds...c9's) it was only on 1 channel so I moved that to my bushes.

2. Added an additional guy wire (now have 4)

3. Instead of 10" tent stakes for my guy wires I used those long corkscrew posts for dog leashes (now that the ground is frozen I dont think they are coming out until April!)

• The topic was locked