Light-O-Rama Forums

Need some input please, starting to spark here

Guest guest

Hey every one, Just looking for some guidance here. this year i'm moving from 16 channels to 64, I'm now just starting to understand what a huge undertaking this is. not at all complaining but just feeling a little over whelmed at this point. well the input i so dearly need is this. Could any one be kind enough to tell me how they handled there upgrades. its not the outside work thats got me. it's the lor program, do i need to start from the beginning all over again, I watched Dan's videos on his web site and they are good but not at all how i made my stuff last year. I have so much new stuff this year i cant even use my grid so im thinking i need to start all over from scratch. would anyone like to shear what they did when you made a big upgrade in channels. and does anyone have any 64 channel shows they would consider shearing?

thanks

Ralph

Ralph wrote:

Hey every one, Just looking for some guidance here. this year i'm moving from 16 channels to 64, I'm now just starting to understand what a huge undertaking this is. not at all complaining but just feeling a little over whelmed at this point. well the input i so dearly need is this. Could any one be kind enough to tell me how they handled there upgrades. its not the outside work thats got me. it's the lor program, do i need to start from the beginning all over again, I watched Dan's videos on his web site and they are good but not at all how i made my stuff last year. I have so much new stuff this year i cant even use my grid so im thinking i need to start all over from scratch. would anyone like to shear what they did when you made a big upgrade in channels. and does anyone have any 64 channel shows they would consider shearing?

thanks

Ralph

Not as big of upgrade, but I went from 80 to 112 channels this year.

I loaded up my template into a dummy sequence. I spent a few minutes inserting channels into the sequence, documenting each step. Then I exported the sequence into a NEW template. Then it was a matter of following my steps for the remaining sequences to include my new channels.

My sequences from last year were still usable. I had to move some channels around via cut and paste, but it worked out just fine. I did not have to rerun the tapper wizard (my preferred method) on the 2006 sequences.

Hey Don thanks, If you dont mind, explain in a little more detail. you loaded your template into a (song any song doesn't make a diff)? then added the new channels and mapped the new ones is this right? saved the new template and redid the same with all the other songs that you do use.

Ralph wrote:

Hey Don thanks, If you dont mind, explain in a little more detail. you loaded your template into a (song any song doesn't make a diff)? then added the new channels and mapped the new ones is this right? saved the new template and redid the same with all the other songs that you do use.

Bingo. I started a new animation sequence, knowing that all I was going to do with it was re-map my channels. Each step I made, no matter how small, I documented.

In fact, my documentation looked something like this. (Some abbreviations are not going to make sense to you.)

Open old sequence
Insert 16 channels below Bushes
Insert 14 channels ABOVE FOH.West
Insert 2 channels below Spirials
Insert 1 channel below Deer West
Import Channel Configuration

What this told me was I needed to add channels in certain places to accommodate my new template. This way when I imported my new sequence, everything lined up.

Now, if you simply add the channels to the end of your sequence, you won't need to do those middle steps.

I went from 16 to 48 and did exactly what Don did. Works like a charm. I reworked all my last years sequences and have done 3 new ones that I cant wait to see. The new ones were planned with 48 channels to take advantage of off my new features while the old ones were just modifed to incorpurate the new features while still being basically the same show as before.

Thanks everyone I guess i'm just getting nervis because i haven't started on this stuff yet and i really need to. so gonna start tonight. thanks alot everyone. one last question off the path here, how do i get the bottom of my page to say official lor user with my 64 channels?