Light-O-Rama Forums

Channel problems

Richard R

Hi guys I am not having a good year this year can you help? I have 2 x 1602's and one channel will not turn off it was running LED lights with no problem until yesterday now it's stuck! HELP

Guest Don Gillespie

Richard R wrote:

Hi guys I am not having a good year this year can you help? I have 2 x 1602's and one channel will not turn off it was running LED lights with no problem until yesterday now it's stuck! HELP

Richard I am having the same troubles I have four controllers and one channel on each controller is not shuting down properly it is leaving one channel on after shut down three sections of leds and one incadesant star I have looked at other posts I never had this happen untill about four nights ago I am going to change the order of my sequences and see if that fixes anything I have tried the firmware update didn't do a thing will keep you posted there is another thread on this but I don't know how to direct you to it maybe someone can help with that

Can you turn that channel on/off with the hardware utility? If not, probably a triac problem that requires report from LOR. If it sometimes turns on/off, perhaps a little more likely to be a wiring problem (electrical or cat5 issue) - I've seen this with moisture in the line somewhere or condensation on the board, whatever. Even a rabbit chewing into a Cat5 can do weird things like this.

Oh, and as another poster said in a different thread, make sure you have the "turn lights off at end of sequence" box checked in the show editor.

Good luck!

Guest Don Gillespie

medman2000 wrote:

Can you turn that channel on/off with the hardware utility? If not, probably a triac problem that requires report from LOR. If it sometimes turns on/off, perhaps a little more likely to be a wiring problem (electrical or cat5 issue) - I've seen this with moisture in the line somewhere or condensation on the board, whatever. Even a rabbit chewing into a Cat5 can do weird things like this.

Oh, and as another poster said in a different thread, make sure you have the "turn lights off at end of sequence" box checked in the show editor.

Good luck!

That is checked off or else the rest of the lights would stay on also will check the cat 5 lines tonight they are buried in my walls and go directly to the controllers I will also try a snubber and see if this fixes the problems thanks

I've read in the forum that it is probably a blown triac , do you guys know how to replace the triac; and mores to the point WHAT IS A TRIAC!!!

The triac is the electronic device that has the little screw holding it to the heatsink.

If you get them locally, Make sure you get the proper one. You can call LOR and see if they will ship you what you need as well.

Chuck

Guest Don Gillespie

cmoore60 wrote:

The triac is the electronic device that has the little screw holding it to the heatsink.

If you get them locally, Make sure you get the proper one. You can call LOR and see if they will ship you what you need as well.

Chuck

Chuck to truly know if it is the triac would that channel stay on at all times? if it goes off when the shows are being played but only stays on when the show is supposed to be disabled it is still the triac??

Don,

Normally when i triac fails. It will assume one of 2 states. First, it would be off all the time (less likely) Second, it will go into a conductive state(on) at some level usually about 50% from what I have seen. If you can go into the hardware utility and turn it off and it stay off, it is most likely NOT the triac.

IF it goes off during the show and on when not suppose to be. I would then try a hardware reset on the controller. The reset procedure is dependent on the board type.

Chuck

Guest Don Gillespie

cmoore60 wrote:

Don,

Normally when i triac fails. It will assume one of 2 states. First, it would be off all the time (less likely) Second, it will go into a conductive state(on) at some level usually about 50% from what I have seen. If you can go into the hardware utility and turn it off and it stay off, it is most likely NOT the triac.

IF it goes off during the show and on when not suppose to be. I would then try a hardware reset on the controller. The reset procedure is dependent on the board type.

Chuck

Chuck when I go into the hardware utilty and turn them off they stay off they seem to be at full 100% when they are on I am scratching my head with this one when the show is over it would be nice to have the lights off so when people drive by they do not think the show is still on and then drive away dissapointed. what I have as the last sequence is a very slow fade down to nothing I am going to try a different sequence tonight and see if this fixes the problem. will post if it works thanks for the help

Don,

Are you saying when you command them off with the HWU they do turn off. BUT when you have them in your show they remain on?

Are you using and background sequences? Have you tried checking the box turn off lights in the musical tab of the show builder?

Chuck

Guest Don Gillespie

cmoore60 wrote:

Don,

Are you saying when you command them off with the HWU they do turn off. BUT when you have them in your show they remain on? YES

Are you using and background sequences? NO
Have you tried checking the box turn off lights in the musical tab of the show builder? yes it is checked

Chuck
Chuck to my knowledge I am not using the background image this started when I changed the order of sequences it seems that the four controllers are leaving one channel on when the final sequence has finished for the night I am absoluty baffled by this everything worked really well with no issues up untill four nights ago
I am running the 2.8.12 version I don't know if this plays into this issue or not

Guest Don Gillespie

Update I just pulled up the hardware utility turned on channel #4 on comtroller #4 and Joseph came on then I turned channel #4 off and it went off what I did discover was that channel # 4 on each controller is the problem these are the channels that stay on when the show ends for the night I am going to watch very closly this evening and run some tests to see what the issue is will let you know in the morning, the channels operate very smooth while the show is running they don't stay lit when the sequences are playing only when the shutdown happens

Guest Don Gillespie

medman2000 wrote:

channel 4 on each controller? did you run the verifier? maybe a conflict with channel config?

Yes I ran the verifier it says I have a conflicting channel in one sequence I checked the sequence and the channel is set for LOR unit 4 # 15 the channel in conflict is set at unit 4 channel 16 I don't get it

But any way the same thing happened last one channel on each controller stayed one after shutdown it is channel # 4 on each controller still trying to get it fixed

Guest Don Gillespie

Everything is working fine Chuck helped me get back on track I added a new sequence to my show and I simply forgot to click on the all lights off box it was an honest mistake that I hope will never happen again I can not express enough thank yous to all that tried to help with this silly little issue