Light-O-Rama Forums

S2 License

schristi69

I just retrieved my license. Along with the license for the advanced software I see a line stating Max Version: 2.9. Does this mean that with the next major version I will have to purchase a new copy?

Well, first of all, just to be clear, you only ever need a new license if you want the new version of software. If your license works for a particular version, it will always work for that particular version, no matter how many new versions we release.

With that said, assuming that you want the new version:

If it literally says only "Max Version: 2.9", then yes, you will not be able to upgrade to version 2.10 or later without purchasing a license upgrade.

It may, however, say something like: "Max Version: 2.9 (and any future versions released by such-and-such a date)". In that case, if we release 2.10 (or whatever) before that date, then your license will cover it.

The way our licensing works is this:

(1) As mentioned above, if your license is good for some version, it will always be good for that version.

(2) If, at the time of your purchase, the current version is "X.Y", then your license will cover at least up to X.(Y+6). For example, right now, the current version is 2.9, so someone buying a license today is covered at least through 2.15.

(3) In addition to that, it's good for anything that we release within a year of your purchase. So, if we release 2.16 within a year of today, a person who purchased today will be covered not just through 2.15, but for 2.16 as well. And any others that get released within a year from today.

(4) The third part of the version number (for example, the "4" in the current "2.9.4") is not relevant. If your license is good for 2.16, then it's good for 2.16.0, 2.16.2, 2.16.4, and on and on, 2.16.8888 or whatever.

(5) A license upgrade behaves the same way. So let's say when we release 2.10, you purchase an upgrade to cover it. It covers not only 2.10, but also at least up to 2.16, and anything else that we release within a year of your upgrade purchase.

Thanks. Mine was one of the old LOR I to LOR II upgrades and it has been good for all of the upgrades up to the current. I just wanted to be sure I was prepared and budgeted for a newer version when it comes out. I knew the free upgrades would run out sometime. Now I know when.

Where does 3.0 fit into that?

I would assume the step to 3.0 will be a major upgrade..it would also suggest that the x.(y+6) formula would mean when the time comes for evolution from 2.9.x to 3.0, that's not a free upgrade?

Where does 3.0 fit into that?

(1) If the release is made within a year of your purchase, you get it.

(2) If it's been more than a year, and you want 3.0, you'll have to purchase a license upgrade.

Please be aware that we don't envision just simply deciding "OK, this release is going to be 3.0" for no particular reason. A major version number change like that would be something like a fundamental major rewrite of the software, rather than just adding new features to the existing software.