Light-O-Rama Forums

LOR Water?

Guest guest

txstraitfan4 wrote:

How much water can the LOR Box take outside?

Showtime units come with NEMA 3 enclosures. See the following definition..

Type 3 enclosures are intended for outdoor use primarily to provide a degree of protection against windblown dust, rain and sleet, and to be undamaged by the formation of ice on the enclosure. They shall meet rain, external icing, dust and rust-resistance design tests. They are not intended to provide protection against conditions such as internal condensation or internal icing.

So, you won't be able to run this thing under water ... but it *should* be okay mounted to the side of your house, etc.

The bare board (hobbyist) can not get wet! Even a drop in the wrong place could be really bad. Like Don said, the pre-built showtime controllers are already in a nice water tight box. If you are building your own you just need to be carefull. Mine are in a type of plastic box you get at target, and cut holes in it for the wires. When I place it outside I also cover it in a plastic bag for added water-tightness.

Hope This Helps!

--Daniel L

txstraitfan4 wrote:

How much water can the LOR Box take outside?

DO you ever have warm spells in your area? For those that do... watch out for ants or roaches walking on your electrical hardware... might want to put ant/roach powder real heavy before mounting or positioning your hardware. I had a roach walk across one of my controllers 2 years ago and inspite of fuse protection, caused a fire (found the burned roach still glued to the source point of the ignition).