Light-O-Rama Forums

S@ keeps unregistering itself

DavBro

Twice now, the copy of S2 on my show computer has asked me to register. Tonight it delayed the start of the show because the show won't run in demo mode. Any ideas? This is the same PC that is having the media player errors listed in this thread:

http://lightorama.mywowbb.com/forum72/24837.html

I am afraid that I might be burning license seats as I keep re-registering it.

Thanks in advance.

Dave

Hi Dave, I'd start by making sure that there are no bad things in your computer. go to http://live.sunbeltsoftware.com/ and download the Vipre rescue program. Run that and it will remove 98% of the bad things.

Once we rule out viruses, next is to get the windows updates. Get all high priority updates and all of the optional except for the search 4.0 and live essentials. reboot and repeat until thats all that is there.

once that's done, let me know what version of windows and what antivirus you are running.

This machine is runs Microsoft Security Essentials, and other than Lightorama S2, is completely bare. It is fully updated through Windows Update. It is an XP SP3 machine. It was nuked/paved just for this purpose at the beginning of the season. (I work for Microsoft in the Support org. I believe the machine to be clean)

I am just wondering what triggers the machine to re-register.

DavBro wrote:

It was nuked/paved just for this purpose at the beginning of the season. (I work for Microsoft in the Support org. I believe the machine to be clean)

I am just wondering what triggers the machine to re-register.

alright, then if we rule out the winders, I'm afraid I'd have to defer to Bob for the definitive answer.

Bu, from one geek to another, I'd try registering it, then backing up the registry and folder in program fies.
Then I'd be running process explorer to see if anything else is touching it. (if your system is fast enough, just let it log until the program unregisters itself)

Once it unregisters try restoring your backups and see if that helps.

how often does it unregister? are you rebooting or something before it happens?

I was actually thinking about using ProcMon to record the registry happenings at startup. Do a baseline when while it is registered, then do it again when it says it is unregistered. Good idea to backup the registry hive. Much easier on XP than anything with UAC.

Meanwhile, hoping the LOR folks have some insight.

DavBro

DavBro wrote:

Twice now, the copy of S2 on my show computer has asked me to register. Tonight it delayed the start of the show because the show won't run in demo mode. Any ideas? This is the same PC that is having the media player errors listed in this thread:

http://lightorama.mywowbb.com/forum72/24837.html

I am afraid that I might be burning license seats as I keep re-registering it.

Thanks in advance.

Dave

I had the same exact problem happen last night. I have a show operating in a city public park and no access to internet. I had to drive to the local hotel to pickup a wifi signal to re-register the software. This is the first time it has ever happened to me. Oh and btw re-registering on the same computer wont use up additional license seats

What version of the software are you using? In early versions with licensing, there were some issues where certain computers would do this.

Also, please send me (bob@lightorama.com) your license information (name and key), as well as the number of machines that you have it installed on, so that I can check whether it's burning up license seats or not.

I had this same thing happen to me last week. Everything was running along fine for several days and then one day last week the show didnt start like normal. I restarted the computer, double checked everything, i was going crazy. I then opened up a sequence in the sequence editor and the software told me I wasnt registered. I clicked the register button and after that the show started just fine. It hasnt happened to me since, I will notify if it does it again.

bob wrote:

What version of the software are you using? In early versions with licensing, there were some issues where certain computers would do this.

Version 2.9.4