Light-O-Rama Forums

Clearwater Lights 2010 display

George Simmons

I've posted my first video of the season. I just got a new Flip ultra. It's so dark on our block that color saturation seems to be an issue, just like with other video cameras I've tried. But I'm impressed with the color rendition just the same. Tonight I'll run the show and try shooting more video earlier in the evening before it gets completely dark.

http://www.vimeo.com/17484818

I love your modified Roundie! I think we should name it; how about "The George Gyro" or maybe "The Simmons Circle". That is some really cool work. I would really like to see a close up of it in action.

Did you add Marty Fans? I don't remember them from last year, but there are a whole lot of things I don't remember from last year ROFL.

Very nice, up to your standards for sure!

Bruce

Egads my good man. I have so many questions. How long does it take you to setup, wire and sequence? I still love your display though!! Absolutely amazing.
Up there with the best of them! Very Nice!

-Evan

Thanks for the kind words.

Bruce - I added what I refer to as Fanarches (or mini Marty fans) this year. As for the close-up of the "Simmons Circle" I'm going to have to work on that. The darn thing is so bright that it just washes out the color. I'll try using my other video camera and play with the settings to see if I can get a better view of it.

Evan - Setup takes all of October and into November doing it evenings and weekends. It takes two weeks (with Sharon's help) to wire everything. Sequencing is a year-round endeavour.

Great job again this year. FABULOS ! So many differnet things going on. Super job of interpreting the music, great sequencing.

I'm gonna feel sorry for all those who judge LOR video contest, alot of good video and ideas out there. Very well done George, can't wait to see more.

George;

I was watching your Miami Vice video this morning. Again nice job. I did notice that you have added a second face to your display. Seems there is a pumpkin like face that shows up around 50 seconds or so. I was watching the Simmons Circle really and I had one of those "what was that" moments.

Haha, caught me off guard.

Well George, you've done it again! Just fantastic! Lots of action going on all over the place. You should do a daytime walk through showing each item with a description of how its built. I think inquiring minds would like to see them up close. Of course next year we would all have them in our displays. lol I went back and looked at your other years of video, and as far as video quality, I like this years best. So I think the Flip helped. Its not a bad video camera for a low end consumer product. Also noticed you played around with time of day that you shot the video, both look good. I look forward to the rest of the videos, and again, well done!

Mike

Thanks Mike. I tried recording at dusk to see if that would reduce some of the color saturation issues. It seems to have helped, so that's my plan for this year - to shoot ten or fifteen minutes each night before the 'real' show begins. I agree that the Flip is a solid buy and from what I've seen so far I'd recommend it to anyone. It is definitely the best camera I've personally used at any price. Kind of amazing actually to see such great video at that price.

ainsworth wrote:

George;

I was watching your Miami Vice video this morning. Again nice job. I did notice that you have added a second face to your display. Seems there is a pumpkin like face that shows up around 50 seconds or so. I was watching the Simmons Circle really and I had one of those "what was that" moments.

Haha, caught me off guard.

Yeah - those are my "Blue Guys" I added this year. There's actually half a dozen of them scattered over both yards. "Junior faces" is what Sharon calls them. It's what happens when you've got extra blue LEDs laying around and some unused wire fencing and not enough time to get into a really big project, but too much time to just sit there doing nothing.

I was going to post that I've uploaded the Vice video on You Boob but I see you beat me to it. I should be uploading new videos most every day for a while now, either on Vimeo or You Boob. Check out Telstar - one of my new 2010 creations that I think quite a bit of.

George,

Once again outstanding display!!! Love the mini trees with the rope light wrap!

Dang wish I lived closer to MN to see it live. Gives me some good ideas for next year.

Have a great Christmas!

Thanks Ed. The rope light wrap on the mini tree is actually an idea I "borrowed" from Tim Fischer's display. He has red and green spiral trees that he uses kind of like mini trees and I thought they looked real cool.

Note to all - I said I'd be adding more videos every day or so. That won't begin until next week. I'm waiting on a wide-angle lens I ordered for the Flip and I've determined there's no sense shooting more video until it gets here, which is supposed to be Monday. Thanks.

Guest Don Gillespie

George will look at this tommorow my show is running right now and I am still laughing about the drunk guy but by the way everyone else has reacted I know this will be worth seeing

THANKS George, now i am definitely going to in trouble with my wife!

that is after I leave the MOA with my family to drive to Tim Fisher's place then another 40 minutes to yours. But, a Christmas addict has to do what a Christmas addict has to do.:)

Thanks Don. After three years I think I'm starting to get the hang of this...

I can hardly wait until the wide angle lens gets here so I can show the rest of the yard too.

I just came across your 2010 video today because of the wide angle lens topic. all I can say is I am completely impressed.

I think your display may just be taking the title of my favorite display, which previously was the Holdmans.