Light-O-Rama Forums

I have a LOR power problem

Guest guest

Hello everyone,

This is a 16 channel board last years model. The show is up and running everything looks good and about 2 hours into the show the lights go off. The show is still running the radio station still plays over my speakers. But the display is dark. I went out and opened the LOR enclosure the red light is off. So i unplug the box then plug it back in and works. for another 2 hours or so. Any clues please? there is about 13 amps and 1 strobe light and the most draw on any channel is 4 amps max.

Guys correct me if I am wrong, but it sounds like an overheated voltage regulator. If you have the availability of a infrared thermometer, take a series of temp readings like every half hour, and see if the box is heating up. Is it a blue board or a green board?

Papa-LF wrote:

Guys correct me if I am wrong, but it sounds like an overheated voltage regulator. If you have the availability of a infrared thermometer, take a series of temp readings like every half hour, and see if the box is heating up. Is it a blue board or a green board?
Uhmmmm what he said? (As I scratch my head and run for the dictionary)

Papa-LF wrote:

You don't even need a thermometer. Just stick your tongue directly on the voltage regulator. If it leaves skin behind, then you know the regulator is overheating. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Well the show has been running since 10:00 am and everything is working fine. All i did was replace the strobe with a flood light. It makes no sense or does it?

Can a Bad strobe cause the board not to power up even if there still is power to the board?

Rlindner wrote:

Well the show has been running since 10:00 am and everything is working fine. All i did was replace the strobe with a flood light. It makes no sense or does it?

Can a Bad strobe cause the board not to power up even if there still is power to the board?

PURE SPECULATION! .... The strobe could be sending some type of "shock wave" back to the board that causes the processor on the board to be confused. The processor does have a watchdog timer in it so it would recover automatically if the clock in the processor is still ticking. But it is possible to push a CMOS device like that into a rare state where it locks up completely.

If it does not lock up again then I may be interested in purchasing your strobe so we can play with it.

I just came home an hour ago and the lights are out. I unplugged and replugged it and the lights worked for about am hour and they went out again. HELP PLEASE

Rlindner,

I strongly suggest you contact Light-O-Rama at their support email address: info@lightorama.com

They have intimate knowledge about how the controller works and what kinds of things can go wrong. Their service is excellent, and I have no doubt that they can help you solve the problem you're experiencing.

Tom

Thanks Tom i emailed them tonight. I think i got everything to work i wont know until tomorrow. I will post the sequence and the sound effect with a break down of what is on each channel. I would go into details but the wife wants some me time tonight. Everybody knows you don't get the wife mad this close to decorating season beside she knows she's all out of luck November 1st thru November 26th. OOPS i just got the yell from upstairs ( you said you would be up 5 minutes ago ) BYE