Light-O-Rama Forums

animatronics

James Chaney

Is there a way to run multiple mp3's at the same time with S2 software? Meaning, If I have more then one animatronic character speaking at the same time you can attach certain mp3's to certain servos on servodog....Anyone know? I am currently running brookshire software and this is possible if you are running multiple sound cards. I would like to move everything over to LOR. Is there a way to do this?

Currently, unless they are in a single flat audio file, I believe the answer is no. But, if you are trying to control multiple independent, interactive elements, you could accomplish it with independent mini directors for each Servo Dog.

I was working on something like this.

The problem is triggering it all and good synchronization.

Here was my potential solution:

1. Run multiple PC's on a network. Potential for virtualization?
2. Use JRiver Media software (http://www.jriver.com/). It allows for individual control of multiple sound cards and is networkable.
3. Have a batch file for each of the sequences that triggers the appropriate sounds in JRiver. It would be nice if the sequencer software would all for insertion of multiple windows events to be executed throughout a sequence.
4. Have the show begin on each PC (VM) using a trigger. Each show is used for a prop.

I never put it all together to see how it would work.

James Chaney wrote:

Is there a way to run multiple mp3's at the same time with S2 software? Meaning, If I have more then one animatronic character speaking at the same time you can attach certain mp3's to certain servos on servodog....Anyone know? I am currently running brookshire software and this is possible if you are running multiple sound cards. I would like to move everything over to LOR. Is there a way to do this?

Yes, there is. Use a 7.1 sound card, ebay has both internal and external sound cards. Don't get a "virtual 7.1 sound card" it does not have true separate audio outputs. On a 7.1 sound card there are 6 audio outputs. Front out L&R, rear out L&R and center out L&R. You will need to make a cable to use all 6, cable parts are available at Radio Shack. Using Audacity, create a 6 track audio file, with one track for each of your animatronics. In LOR, make 6 tracks, one for each Servo dog. Mute the other 5 audio tracks and program each track (audio and LOR) separately, its time consuming. Run speakers wires to each of your animatronics and you can have a 6 way conversation. Depending on your computer hardware, you may have to play around with the audacity audio tracks to get them to play on the specified audio card tracks. FYI Windows media player 11 will play 7.1 sound perfectly.