Light-O-Rama Forums

Delete section of song

morrisonstreet

Is there a way to delete portions of a programmed musical animation? I have a short section at the beginning of one that I want to delete completely, but all I can find is delete timings.

morrisonstreet wrote:

Is there a way to delete portions of a programmed musical animation? I have a short section at the beginning of one that I want to delete completely, but all I can find is delete timings.

"Delete completely"?

Delete all lighting commands? Right click and highlight everything you want to delete and the right click then ckick 'cut' or 'off'.

Delete time, lighting commands, ie shorten the whole sequence? I don't know of a way to do all of this in LOR. You would need to shorten the audio file using something like audacity. Then I would make a new musical sequence (animation) with this shortened audio file, and import your channel configuration in to it. Now also open the original musical sequence (animation) and right click select what you want to copy and copy it then paste it into your new sequence.

Yeah, that's not quite it. "Cut" and "off" doesn't remove the whole section, it just clears it away and leaves the timings in place.

I know I can redo the song, but then I'd have to futz with trying to get all the timing and programming back into the new fixed song, exactly right. There should be a way to just hi-light the section you want removed (in its entirety) and hit delete, removing sound and programming.

I'm trying to do it the hard way now and it's very frustrating. I finally got the timing exactly right (after about 8 tries), and now I'm having to cut and paste the programming from one to the other. I've added 2 controllers this year and all my channels changed, so I'm having to do it line by line for 112 channels.

That's why it would be nice to just have a "delete" function.

Paul Roberson wrote:

morrisonstreet wrote:

"Delete completely"?

Delete all lighting commands? Right click and highlight everything you want to delete and the right click then ckick 'cut' or 'off'.

Delete time, lighting commands, ie shorten the whole sequence? I don't know of a way to do all of this in LOR. You would need to shorten the audio file using something like audacity. Then I would make a new musical sequence (animation) with this shortened audio file, and import your channel configuration in to it. Now also open the original musical sequence (animation) and right click select what you want to copy and copy it then paste it into your new sequence.

If you duplicated your old channel configuration into track 2 you could rearrainge, add blank channels to make track 2 be the same as this years channel line up. Then you could do a blanket copy, paste.

The duplicated (track 2) channels would not have to have the same channel assignments just be in the exact same order 'lighting command wise' as this years channel configuration.

morrisonstreet wrote:

Yeah, that's not quite it. "Cut" and "off" doesn't remove the whole section, it just clears it away and leaves the timings in place.

I know I can redo the song, but then I'd have to futz with trying to get all the timing and programming back into the new fixed song, exactly right. There should be a way to just hi-light the section you want removed (in its entirety) and hit delete, removing sound and programming.

I'm trying to do it the hard way now and it's very frustrating. I finally got the timing exactly right (after about 8 tries), and now I'm having to cut and paste the programming from one to the other. I've added 2 controllers this year and all my channels changed, so I'm having to do it line by line for 112 channels.

Oh my, NO!

I NEVER want the sequence editor to touch my music file!

The way it is now, windows media player is the only program that the uses the music file.

Paul Roberson wrote:

If you duplicated your old channel assignment into track 2 you could rearrainge, add blank channels to make track 2 be the same as this years channel line up. Then you could do a blanket copy, paste.
That's true. But probably by the time I've finished rearranging all the tracks, I'll have it all copied and pasted from one to the other anyway. Just seems odd that there's no delete function.

JBullard wrote:

morrisonstreet wrote:

Oh my, NO!

I NEVER want the sequence editor to touch my music file!

The way it is now, windows media player is the only program that the uses the music file.
Then you wouldn't have to use it! I make pretty unusual compositions of things. A lot of my songs have introductions by celebrities and I also do montages of different songs in one. This year, I wanted to take the introduction off and the easiest thing would have been to just select those cells and delete them along with the audio. It would have been a clean cut.

morrisonstreet wrote:

Paul Roberson wrote:
If you duplicated your old channel assignment into track 2 you could rearrainge, add blank channels to make track 2 be the same as this years channel line up. Then you could do a blanket copy, paste.
That's true. But probably by the time I've finished rearranging all the tracks, I'll have it all copied and pasted from one to the other anyway. Just seems odd that there's no delete function.

Maybe so.

As long as your are positive you are only going to do this one. ; )

Then what you want is not a feature request, you are asking for a complete rewrite of the sequence editor.

At present, the sequence editor does not touch the music file, only asks for media player to play the music..

How much would you be willing to pay for a light sequencer software that contained both an audio and video editor supporting the following file formats - Aif , Aifc, Aiff, Midi, mid, mi, mpeg, mp2, mp3, mpa, aui, wav, wma, avi, mpe, mpeg video, mpgm1v, Asf, wm, wmv - ? Talk about a bloated sequence program!

I'm familiar with almost all the light sequence software (under a $1000) and none of them ever touch the music file (Vixen, Animated Lighting, Spectrum, Auroa, Light Show Pro, and Prancer)

Guess you need to pay someone to custom write the sequence software for your needs.

JBullard wrote:

Then what you want is not a feature request, you are asking for a complete rewrite of the sequence editor.

At present, the sequence editor does not touch the music file, only asks for media player to play the music..

How much would you be willing to pay for a light sequencer software that contained both an audio and video editor supporting the following file formats - Aif , Aifc, Aiff, Midi, mid, mi, mpeg, mp2, mp3, mpa, aui, wav, wma, avi, mpe, mpeg video, mpgm1v, Asf, wm, wmv - ? Talk about a bloated sequence program!

I'm familiar with almost all the light sequence software (under a $1000) and none of them ever touch the music file (Vixen, Animated Lighting, Spectrum, Auroa, Light Show Pro, and Prancer)

Guess you need to pay someone to custom write the sequence software for your needs.
I'm not "asking" for anything, I was asking if there was a way to do it. I'm not completely fluent in this program and know others here are and know tricks to do things. I'm sorry if you were offended by my question.

Maybe I'm just an idiot, but it just seems like a completely simple and logical things to be able to delete something. I don't know of any other programs (word processing, photo editing, music editing, etc) where you can't just select something and delete it.