Light-O-Rama Forums

Window lights

Bruce Kryfka

Last year when I hung my outside window lights I used the 3M clips with no problem. So I left the clips up all season and this year I decided to reuse them only to have the first string fall off the window. I thought I had a permanent solution but I guessed wrong. What are other members using to secure your lights to the windows. I'm sure there is something out there that I could use even if its not a permanent fix.

For my windows I created 1/2" pvc frames that fit in the outside of the window. Takes me just a few minutes to put up all my window lights now.

After the season I just hang the entire frame with the lights attached for storage.

Made wooden frames that fit inside of the brick framed windows. the frame is about 2.5" wide and I drilled offset holes for the lamps. Then used plastic anchors in the bricks. and angle brackets on the wooden frames and screws into the plastic anchors. 4 screws and my window frames are up.

We used PVC pipe also. Since I put lights on my siding, I mounted mine inside my windows. We take the screen out and pop in the PVC frame. We drilled holes in the PVC pipe and pushed bulb through the hole. I used white vinyl electrical tape to secure the lights to the PVC pipe. I hide the electrical cords that go between the windows on the clips that hold the lights on the siding.

We also used PVC pipe to mount our icicle lights shown in the picture.

We are going to store the icicle lights in our storage shed that is 10' long, so we cut the PVC pipe to 9.5' so that it would fit in the shed.

If anyone is interested, I have a spreadsheet that automatically calculates where to drill the holes on the PVC pipe. All you have to do is enter the number of lights and the length of the pipe.

Attached files 226043=12486-PVC Window Frams.png

I work in a metal shop so I built metal frames for all my windows. Each frame is painted white, drilled four holes in each of them and labeled specifically for each window. I used zip tied to secure my lights to the frames. With four screws I can take them down and put them up quite easily.