Light-O-Rama Forums

CTB16PC problem

Gerald Corey

The lead box out of the computer runs 2 channels during the intro sequence and the closing sequence--Ch 9 runs three 6 ft. LED trees and Ch 11 runs the information sign.

Somehow it caused the next box to turn on the red mega tree.

I checked the programs and the mega tree is not programmed on!

Both controllers work correctly during the other six sequences in the show. Any ideas?

Check and recheck your sequences.

You wouldn't be the first to find out that something was turned on during a sequence that shouldn't be.

During those two sequences only the LED trees and the information sign should be running.

I originally had just the information sign running during the opening and closing sequences. That ran just fine. Today I decided to add the LED trees and tonight when the show started, lo, and behold, the red mega tree came on! There is no mega tree programmed during either of those sequences. The rest of the six sequences are fine! The info sign and the LED trees are on the same controller and the mega tree is on an entirely different controller.

This year when I first fired everything up I had similar problems. Print off a list of your controller channels and what should be hooked up to what plug. You might find out that you plugged something into the wrong controller wire.

In my case, I found that I had plugged the lights that were supposed to plug into #15 into plug #14. Doh!

Originally I had just the information sign running with the intro sequence and the closing sequence. Then yesterday I added the 3 LED trees and when the program ran last night the red megatree on an entirely different box ran with the led trees on both the intro sequence and the closing sequence!

I would put my money on that you have a channel conflict. You have the same channel programmed for 2 different elements. Running the verifier may help catch this. Good old examination will find it as well.

Chuck

Ran the verifier and it says mega tree is off. The mega tree runs all 16 channels on its own box. The info sign and the LED trees are on an entirely tifferent box. Could a signal be generated if the CAT5 wires cross each other?

Check your LED trees Sequence/channels to MAKE absolutely sure there is not the mega tree in there as a channel mess up.

We all have made the mistake of having thing not configured as we think.

Chuck

Is your info sign lit with a CFL light? They have been known in some cases to cause all sorts of issues with communication on the LOR network...

The info sign is lit with a string of regular minilights. It was the only item running in the sequence until I added the LED trees that use 1 channel on the same controller as the info sign. The mega tree is on its own controller.

It looks nice when it runs, but it is puzzling to wonder why it is happening!

yes. the six show sequences are just fine. It's just the opening welcome and closing thanks for coming that have the problem. The same channel configuration is on all sequences. Have checked the Channel Property grid; all ok. Just a bit odd that the mega tree turns on. Thanks for the offer to check. We''ll see how it goes

Sound like you have decided not to really take to heart any of the suggestions we have offered. The only time I have had things misfire is because of programming errors.

Happy hunting!

Chuck

Gerald Corey wrote:

yes. the six show sequences are just fine. It's just the opening welcome and closing thanks for coming that have the problem.

I just have to concur with the others that if it's only happening in a couple of sequences, and is 100% reproducible, then it is all but absolutely certain that there is either a programming or channel config error going on here.

• 2 weeks later...

After having the mega tree stay on all through the entire show and then stay on all by itself after the show had ended and the computer was OFF, we had to go and pull the plugs to the controller. We installed our spare controller the next day and no more problems, so it was NOT a programming error or conflict. After talking with Dan we are sending the board in for repair!