Light-O-Rama Forums

Rainy Day Question

Guest guest

What is the general consensus on using LOR on a rainy night? Do most users still continue to let the show go on, or do you shut it down for the night.

It would seem to me to be kind of dangerous to have all those extension cords lying around on the ground with rain water splashing on them. Besides, who goes out on a rainy night to look at Christmas lights?

I can't speak for everyone, but we kept the lights on unless there was an electrical storm. Always did since everything is on a timer. The controller was kept off the ground and upright in the box. Maybe we're light lucky, but we've never had any trouble.

When things start getting wet, the show will still go on, but certain features like the strobe lights, the color wash and a few other items with possibly non-water tight contacts will be shut off. Last year I had LOTS of water/GFCI problems, and this year I will take NO chances this year! :laughing:

--Daniel L

Here in Oregon if we waited for the rain to stop there wouldn't be a show. My show runs rain or not and have not had any major problems. I try to elevate all of my electrical connections.

Don wrote:

Well I love a rainy night. I love to hear the thunder, watch the lightning when it lights up the sky. You know it makes me feel good.

Showers wash all my cares away. I wake up to a sunny day.Yes, I love a rainy night.

I'm here in Oregon also. Last year, my entire yard was under water. I had a sump pump running trying to keep the water level below my elevated electrical connections. Viewers just stay in their cars during the rain storms.

I leave my lights on every rainy night. I'm pretty good at covering all my major electrical cord "hubs" with a Rubbermaid bin.

Luckily my GFI's do not trip easily, and if you make sure you are following good procedures, you should have no problem. Here's what I do:

My controllers are covered with a trash bag, as are the 16 lines coming out at the bottom, and I built a wooden frame to hold it, upright.

I also go to Target and buy tons of those small Rubbermaid sandwich sized clear plastic containers, and use those all over the yard where electrical cords and light plugs come together, to shield the connection from moisture.

I also make sure that the "end female outlet" of all light strings points DOWNWARD, soi that rain will not creep into the plug and short it out.

You can also get those baby outlet plastic caps and plug them in as well.

Each year I might find one or 2 problem lights that trip the fuse in the rain. I either move them under the overhang, or if I'm fed up with the light item, I just trash it by way of attrition, and buy something newer and more resilient in its place.

Rain? What's that? We here in Arizona have heard of it but thought it was an urban legend!!!

(Just kidding as I look out at the drizzle currently coming down)

Actually, I was going to try to keep all my connections up off the ground so only solid unbroken runs would be in the water. (tucked up inside the mini trees, run along the eaves instead of on the ground, etc.) My LOR is in the garage with the main power supply, so it should be pretty weatherproof.

Always leave 'em on. Just had a 2" rainstorm last week, and not a single problem with the Halloween decorations. And I have plenty of open plugs on the ground.

As for people looking at decorations in the rain, while people may not stop and stare at them, they still become part of the scenery as people drive down the street. Chances are, all your neighbors will still have their lights on too.

Heck, I recently watched a drive-in movie in a heavy rainfall. We were one of 8 cars in the lot! The annoyance from the windshield wipers eventually subsided after several minutes!

If it is raining there is no show. The C9s on yard stakes that outline my house have a tendancy to get water in the sockets. I let it dry out before turning it back on.

Don't want to spend time chasing blown fuses and tripped GFIs.