Light-O-Rama Forums

Do you run the show in the rain?

funnyent

I'm freaking out! Can someone please reassure me that my LOR is going to be okay. It's raining here in Tucson. I have the ready-to-go model so I purchased the GCFI plug ins for each of the outlets. My controller is inside so it wouldn't get wet, but the plug in tripped for the first time ever. I reset it and it tripped again so I shut down my show. I'm just worried I screwed up my LOR. Is there any chance that I fried it? I know that's the point of the GCFI but I worry like that... it's my light show. Any reassuring words from vets? As always, thanks again!

your hardware will be perfectly fine. The gfi trips because you are losing current somewhere in the line and the gfi senses the difference between outgoing and incoming amperages. The only fix is to eliminate the point that the current is leaking to a ground, there have been many options illustrated in previous posts.

After making some changes last year, such as drilling a drain hole in the floodlight fixture and elevating some wire-frames a few inches off the ground, I have narrowed most of my GFCI problems down to one set of channels.

So, at the moment, I simply unplug those channels when it rains. The channels affected are 4 channels of 60 PVC candlesticks with C-7 sockets on top. The candlesticks were purchased 4 years ago as 6 strings, but I wanted them to chase so I cut them apart and spliced them together. The splices are made by putting silicon caulk into a butt connector, crimping it to SPT-1, then putting more silicon caulk into heat-shrink tubing and shrinking it over the splice, sealing it with caulk.

Somehow, I think water is still getting into the splices, maybe because silicon caulk may not behave well when heated, and it may not adhere well to SPT-1 anyway.

It has been suggested that I dip the splices into that liquid rubber stuff commonly used for tool handles. Does that sound like a good idea?

It's not an option to elevate these splices as that would be a tripping hazard, and there are 60 of them!

Thank you, I have seen the condensation inside the bag but the rust is usually in sockets outside of the bags. I think that it has more to do with inexpensive (ie. cheap) lights.