Light-O-Rama Forums

Lights not turning on

JimCanfield

I am at my wits end. Seems I've forgotten all there is to know about running the lights. I have all 3 controllers plugged in and I have the cat 5 cable plugged into the usb adapter and the usb plugged into my computer. I have enable shows checked and also controll lights in the sequence editor. Still no lights are running. I cannot remember how to diagnose the problem or even where to find out where to read about it. Can someone please help me out? I am already 3 days late and still no light show! Also the red led status light in the controllers is blinking and not steady

Jim -

The red flashing light indicates that the controller is not on the network. Do you have a way to test the network cable (cat 5 or phone wire)? Or, do you have a spare netowrk cable? You could prove that your USB interface is working by bringing a controller inside, and plugging it into the USB converter with a known good cable...

Start at the PC and then prove each piece, working outward.

D.T.

only prob is that all my lights are already plugged in. I was messin with the hardware utility and it doesnt even fint the light o rama port. So I am still unsure what to do I apologize.

Have you run your show on this PC before? You may want to reinstall the software for the UBS converter. If this doesn't fix your communication issue, I'm not sure what you would want to do next... This stuff isn't rocket science, so I'm sure it's not something too difficult.

Take it one little hurdle at a time...

D.T.

It sounds like it's talking to at least one of your controllers. Did you check the status lights on all of them? Have you tried to control some lights on th controller that it did find? Did they work?

D.T.

JimCanfield wrote:

dunno how but got it to work!

that is because the hardware utility finds your controllers then assigns a port to that usb adapter, then the next time you run a show or use the editor it knows to look for that port that was assigned

Jim,

You stated you have enabled shows and sequence editor. ONLY ONE can control the port at any given time.

KingsIsland,

The hardware utility does not assign the port to the USB adapter. The comm port is assigned to the adapter when you plug it in. This is a function of the driver and windows. Note: if you plug the adapter in a different USB port, the operating system will likely assign it another port number. The hardware utility will scan comm ports for LOR devices and set that comm port as the active port. This will be saved and used by the other sections of the suite (sequence editor and show player) for communications.

Chuck