Light-O-Rama Forums

Control panel icon dissapears

Guest guest

after my computer has been on a few hours after i turn the control panel on and enable shows, the little light bulb icon dissapears and i cant get the control panel to show up after that. i end up having to restart the computer. i have my power saver options to turn monitor off after one hour, but to leave the hard drive on at all times.

or should i just uninstall and reinstall my LOR software? not sure what to do cause when christmas rolls around i need it to be on all the time to run my shows. this computer is not used for internet or anything else except music and LOR.

-stephen

blazerstephen wrote:

after my computer has been on a few hours after i turn the control panel on and enable shows, the little light bulb icon dissapears and i cant get the control panel to show up after that. i end up having to restart the computer. i have my power saver options to turn monitor off after one hour, but to leave the hard drive on at all times.

or should i just uninstall and reinstall my LOR software? not sure what to do cause when christmas rolls around i need it to be on all the time to run my shows. this computer is not used for internet or anything else except music and LOR.

-stephen

Well Stephen,

If you go to the main LOR folder and right click on LOR Tray, create a short cut and place it on your desktop. When you need the LOR tray for anything like enabling your show, just click on it and that little bulb will show up at the bottom. If it goes away, then just bring it back up when you need it thru the LOR Tray short cut you created.

Hope this helps,

Tom

blazerstephen wrote:

I have seen this happen on my PC but it will not affect the ability of shows to play. If you have shows enabled even if the icon disappears from the task bar the shows will play. The Control Panel can actually be killed (the app is name LOR TRay or something like that) and the shows will still run. There is a program called the LOR monitor that runs the shows. You never see it and the Control Panel starts and stops the monitor when you Enable/Disable shows.

Now why the icon disappears is a different matter. I have a problem with my personal PC. (kind of redundant to say personal Personal Computer:)) I would love to know what the problems is with MY PC but I have not been able to figure it out for almost 2 years.

This is XP home SP2. It seems like Windows Explorer "dies" (sometimes I stop it because it is messed up) at the same time there is some partial reboot of the system. The desktop is redrawn and many of the icons in my system tray (including LOR) disappear. The control panel is still running ( I can see it in the task manager) but the icon is gone.

When this thing started happening, a really annoying thing started at the same time. This also has to do with Windows Explorer.... If I open Windows Explorer with folders displayed on the left. I click "My Computer". Then just below "My Computer" I see all the volumes on the PC "A: , C: , D:, shared docs..... )..... Also in the window to the right of the folders I see the same things displayed....

If I click on the C: in the folders window (on the left) the Explorer window will hang (CPU 100% or as much as it can get is used by Windows Explorer). After the 1+ minute the C: drive is displayed and all is happy.

If I click on the C: in the window to the right of the folders window all is well and the contents of C: is displayed instantly. If I click the wrong C: and (and I still do once in a while!) I just start up a new Explorer and start working while the other version is doing something???

BUT why I even mention this.... Sometimes when it is hanging like that, I go into Task Manager and Kill the Windows Explorer. When I do, the desktop is redrawn and I loose most of the icons in my system tray including the LOR icon. To get the Icon back I go into Task Manger and stop the LOR tray application. Then I restart it in the programs start menus.

LightORama wrote:

If I click on the C: in the folders window (on the left) the Explorer window will hang (CPU 100% or as much as it can get is used by Windows Explorer). After the 1+ minute the C: drive is displayed and all is happy.

BUT why I even mention this.... Sometimes when it is hanging like that, I go into Task Manager and Kill the Windows Explorer. When I do, the desktop is redrawn and I loose most of the icons in my system tray including the LOR icon. To get the Icon back I go into Task Manger and stop the LOR tray application. Then I restart it in the programs start menus.

The explorer using 100% is unforunately a common problem with no good answers. So many applications have hooks into explorer its tough to figure out the culprit.

As far as the missing icon when explorer restarts, the reason some get redrawn is that they were watching for a message from Windows letting them know the taskbar was being redrawn. If you'd like to fix LOR so that it watches for the message here is a link to some VB code and an article that explains it. Of course, you should get this release out first (hint).

Source code

Article

dslowik wrote:

The explorer using 100% is unforunately a common problem with no good answers. So many applications have hooks into explorer its tough to figure out the culprit.

As far as the missing icon when explorer restarts, the reason some get redrawn is that they were watching for a message from Windows letting them know the taskbar was being redrawn. If you'd like to fix LOR so that it watches for the message here is a link to some VB code and an article that explains it. Of course, you should get this release out first (hint).

Source code

Article

Thanks for the tip. I will mention this to the guy who wrote the little tray app. I never did have anyone look into why the icon was not redrawn after a crash.

well, that helps knowing all that. and last night my halloween show ran as scheduled, but yes the explorer does lock up like u were saying dan. im not keen on all the other computer lingo and problems you guys were talking about but it seems that its not a major problem as far as LOR running fine. thanks everyone.

-stephen