Light-O-Rama Forums

Electric Draw

captainron19

OK I know they say to stay within 80% of your circuit but does anyone go over that? I have 4 dedicated 20 AMP circuits for my controller receptacles.

One of those circuits is currently drawing 14.73 Amps - which puts me in within the 80% range (16amps)

I wanted to add some more lights onto that controller for some bushes that are bare so I was going to use some of the 40% efficient Minis from target. If I add the 12 sets I want to place on the bushes that would take that circuit to 17.13 amps

Whattia think?

my icicles will all colors on is 16.32amps on 20amp circuit. Another has 18.16 on a 20amp circuit but the only time its at that is when I am checking the lights in hardware control turning on the controller to check lights/replacing bulbs.

it is very rare that the entire 16 channels of that controller are on at the same time and I just realized that I changed my mega tree color lights to the 52% efficient minis this year and they are on that circuit so that only gives me a 100% draw of 16.29 amps(even with the new sets I want to add on the bushes)

I think you will be fine (but I like to live dangerously - I run with Scissors, and go swimming right ater eating) Like you said, Your only hitting that with all lights FULL on, and THATS WHAT BREAKERS ARE FOR.

If you want to play it safe, I'm the wrong one to ask.

Provided that your wire gauging, circuit breakers and all other elements are rated for 20 amps, then:

16amps is 80% of 20amps. This is the 80% marker, you want to try and keep your loads under 16 amps.

14.73 < 16amps. You're fine.