Light-O-Rama Forums

LOR w/ 2 Monitors

Guest guest

ok i need some help from a computer experts. is it possible to hook up two monitors so that one would have the animation on it and the other for the sequence . im planning on useing a 24" flat pannel for the sequence and a 15" flat pannel for the animation view.

need your help

thanks calle

Yes, I did the very same thing during a presentation and worked just fine using my laptop. As Don mentioned, just drag what ever screen you want to the second monitor (as long as the settings for a second monitor are set). Actually, my second screen was an overhead projector.

Tom

Click on start, go to control panel, double click on display, go to settings. You should see 2 different screens (1 & 2). If you have this capability, you will see two screens labeled 1 & 2. If you don't, you don't have this capability.

If you do, we can go from there. If not, then you're stuck with one screen.

Tom

calle wrote:

ok so how does one go about hooking up two monitors

thank calle

Two ways it can be done.

Add a second video card to your system and then attach another monitor to the second video card.

or

Add a video card with dual outputs and hook up each monitor to each of the outputs.

Then if you are using XP go to the control panel and go to the display property. Then click the settings tab and you should see two monitors labeled 1 and 2. Click on number 2 and then check the "exten my windows desktop onto this monitor". Click ok and exit out all the windwows and you are done. Here is a link with more info

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/learnmore/northrup_multimon.mspx

Good Luck

The second card is key. We must have been typing at the same time. Btw, I do believe that windows xp can support as many monitors as the system has video ports. Don't quote me on that though.

CUTTHEMUSIC wrote:

The second card is key. We must have been typing at the same time. Btw, I do believe that windows xp can support as many monitors as the system has video ports. Don't quote me on that though.

Yep, my laptop came with a second port already so I didn't even think about the second card.

Tom

CUTTHEMUSIC wrote:

calle wrote:
ok so how does one go about hooking up two monitors

thank calle

Two ways it can be done.

Add a second video card to your system and then attach another monitor to the second video card.

or

Add a video card with dual outputs and hook up each monitor to each of the outputs.

Then if you are using XP go to the control panel and go to the display property. Then click the settings tab and you should see two monitors labeled 1 and 2. Click on number 2 and then check the "exten my windows desktop onto this monitor". Click ok and exit out all the windwows and you are done. Here is a link with more info

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/learnmore/northrup_multimon.mspx

Good Luck

Yes you can easily use to monitors at the same time. I know becuase I have been doing it for the past 4 years now. LOR is very nice with dual monitors.

Now, like Tim said you have Two ways to do this. Option "A" buy a whole new video card with dual monitor capability. This is the best option in my opinion because the drivers run more smoothly.

Option "B" is to add a second card to your system. Now if you do this option you need to be sure to do 2 things. First you will most likely need a PCI card because the card in you computer most likely is AGP and computers only come with one AGP slot. Secondly, you need to know if your current video card uses Nvidea or Raadon Drivers. Be sure that your second card uses the same type of drivers as the first. It is ok for the models to be different but you will need the drivers to be of the same type.

By the way once you start using dual monitors you will never go back to a single. You will find that everything on a computer goes a whole lot faster and smoother with dual monitors. For instance both my wife and I use duals. In my setup I have my drafting program up on one that the second has several other programs up on it such as email, beam calc programs, and even instant messages from other PC members talking to me while I work :]. My wife really loves the duals because she does all of our bookkeeping for our bussiness. On one of her monitors she has the accounting software up and the other she will have our internet bank teller up. She can easily go back and forth from one to the next to make sure everything looks good.

Now for the downside to duals. If you already run flatscreens your ok. If you run for instance a 19" crt monitor (like I use to), you will find that your desk becomes extremely overful after you add a second to that. Now I run dual 19" flatscreens and I gained about half my desk after I made the switch.

Yes, I also have done it with my laptop, the laptop was the sequence and the 2nd was the animation, it was perfect.....

Now the laptop is busted and I cant do that any more....

--DanieL L

I've got a very nice All in Wonder Radeon video card that does dual display as well as a TV turner and a very good graphics chip. Right now I have an 19" LCD and a 17" LCD up to it and it is verrrrrry nice.

One minor issue is that if you get two different sizes of screens, it's hard to have a window appear as the same size in either display. It's hard to explain, but if you were to take a small window in one screen, and drag it to the other, the size will change. That doesn't apply for your situation, but it would be an issue if you wanted the timeline to spread both screens. It's just more of an annoyance.