Light-O-Rama Forums

What affect will cutting a string of lights in half have?

HowardShank

HowardShank wrote:

What affect will cutting a string of lights in half have?

It will reduce the number of lights and the overall brightness of the string by approximately 50%.

Ok. My fault for not asking a better question.

Since there would only be 1/2 the lights, will they burn out faster because there won't be the full impedence as if all the lights were on the strand?

kingsislandtechservices wrote:

first before we can give you any type of answer you need to tell us what type of lights you have incadescent or led?

and how many lights are on the original strand. 10, 20, 25, 35, 50, 60, 70, 100, 140, 150?

(These are the light counts on strands I have or are aware of)

HowardShank wrote:

Ok. My fault for not asking a better question.

Since there would only be 1/2 the lights, will they burn out faster because there won't be the full impedence as if all the lights were on the strand?

It depends:

Need to know what kind of lights and how many you are starting with.

Cut a string of 35 incan lights in half then yes they will burn out faster

Cut a string of 50 incan in half then yes, they will burn out faster

Cut a string of 70 incan in half, then no.

Etc.

70 Light LED icicles. Strand is 35 on one side of the circuit and 35 on the other. I want to get rid of 1/2 of them without leaving empy wire hanging.

The other strand is 100 LED icicles with 3 wire circuit.

The strands are 12ft long and I need to cover a ~6ft section without doubling up the lights.

Well like someone said above. Your screwed! You with what knowledge of electronics you have, can not cut and LED string in half or any other measurement.

So the answer is NO!

Why? I have cut several strings of 70 ct LEds in half, when the non-replaceable bulb burnt out on one end or the other, and they have been working fine. But I also notice that these strings have resister blocks on both ends.

Mountainwxman wrote:

The answers given here are hilarious!

George, Larry, good work.

Howard, that was a great question for those answers.

it was that or { it depends are they plugged in when you cut them }

With LED's, I suggest wrapping up the unused section and wrapping them with duct tape or electrical tape. Because the lights are so small, it is easy to do this. Plus, you don't have to worry about the rest of your strand not working. Throw the unused portion in the gutter or duct tape it to the roof. You won't be able to see the extra strand at night, just wrap it tight...

Greg