Light-O-Rama Forums

Snubber Question

Guest guest

So on somewhat of a whim, I picked up three 200 light rolls of multi-colored LEDs at Lowes a couple weeks ago. Had not attached them to a controller until just now, they seem to behave fine, and, appear to be full-wave..I hadn't paid much attention to that when i bought them.

The only thing I notice is, they seem to hit peak brilliance at about 80% when I test them on the hardware utility. Very stable, no flicker, nothing that concerns me there, but the question I had was whether this is a characteristic that would be corrected with a snubber...? I'm doubting it, but wanted to confirm.

Since I don't believe I can adjust the range of a channel (i.e,, that 80% point becomes 100%), I'll likely just need to live with it as is, its not a show stopper, either way.

Don:

I bought LEd's from CDI and I have them set at minimum intensity of 10% and max at 70% during fades. The eye can't see them under 10% and they are about max brightness at 70%. Also have set maximum intensity at 70% rather than taking all the way to 100. The snubbers only fix flicker or jerkiness in your fades.

Lenny

LENNY RUEL wrote:

I bought LEd's from CDI and I have them set at minimum intensity of 10% and max at 70% during fades.

Hey Lenny...

Was just wondering (since I don't know) why you do this? What does it do for you or the lights?

jimswinder wrote:

LENNY RUEL wrote:
I bought LEd's from CDI and I have them set at minimum intensity of 10% and max at 70% during fades.

Hey Lenny...

Was just wondering (since I don't know) why you do this? What does it do for you or the lights?

I think it makes the lights start fades right when they are programed to, no delay untill it gets to 70%?

Tighter (more responsive?) sequencing on the fades since a full range is 60 % vs 100% Since the lights aren't visable until 10% they are on when the fade starts rather than being dark the time from 0 to 10%. Then the same on the high end. Say you have a five second fade. Roughly the first second the string is dark, then at 4 seconds it's at full intensity but at 70% so you in a sense only really have a 3 second fade. Depending on the duration of your sweeps, etc. you'll notice a lot smoother flow to them without a period of darkness from channel to channel. I know I'm not the only one as I've seen others with the same settings in sequnces I've looked at.

Incans I start at 15% but they will keep increasing in intensity to close to 100%

Lenny

LENNY RUEL wrote:

Tighter (more responsive?) sequencing on the fades since a full range is 60 % vs 100% Since the lights aren't visible until 10% they are on when the fade starts rather than being dark the time from 0 to 10%. Then the same on the high end. Say you have a five second fade. Roughly the first second the string is dark, then at 4 seconds it's at full intensity but at 70% so you in a sense only really have a 3 second fade. Depending on the duration of your sweeps, etc. you'll notice a lot smoother flow to them without a period of darkness from channel to channel. I know I'm not the only one as I've seen others with the same settings in sequences I've looked at.

Good to Know!!

Thanks!!

LENNY RUEL wrote:

Don:

I bought LEd's from CDI and I have them set at minimum intensity of 10% and max at 70% during fades. The eye can't see them under 10% and they are about max brightness at 70%. Also have set maximum intensity at 70% rather than taking all the way to 100. The snubbers only fix flicker or jerkiness in your fades.

Lenny

So that works if you are all LED, as that would be a controller level setting, right?

With my mix of incans and LEDs, mostly incans, that particular situation won't work.

Now if it could be set by channel, would def be the answer.

Thanks for confirming the snubber use.

DonFL wrote:

LENNY RUEL wrote:
Don:

I bought LEd's from CDI and I have them set at minimum intensity of 10% and max at 70% during fades. The eye can't see them under 10% and they are about max brightness at 70%. Also have set maximum intensity at 70% rather than taking all the way to 100.

So that works if you are all LED, as that would be a controller level setting, right?

I assumed he meant the settings on the actual fade and not the controller...

DonFL wrote:

So on somewhat of a whim, I picked up three 200 light rolls of multi-colored LEDs at Lowes a couple weeks ago.

pssstttttt. I saw those and HD had the 250 sets for the same price. 50 extra bulbs :)

I have a 250 stand hooked into 4 70(ct) and noticed a nice fade, no snubby required

rstately wrote:

http://lightorama.mywowbb.com/forum72/24200.html

Jim, read Bob's last post, thats what there talking about setting the controller.

I knew you could set the WHOLE intensity of a sequence via the controller...but weren't we just talking about the intensity of the fades?

From Lenny: I bought LEd's from CDI and I have them set at minimum intensity of 10% and max at 70% during fades.

Don:

I have a mix of incans and LED's and you can set them by channel. I do it as I'm sequencing a song. I might have say 8 channels of each on a controller and I'll set the LED's and incans accordingly.

Lenny

Yes,

But if ALL you LED's are from CDI, and you find out that they don't get any brighter than 70,or 80%. Than why not set them at the controller, so you don't have to re-sequence everything?

That's all I was sayin, If you have mixed lights, even different brands of LED's, than maybe that wouldn't work?

Then next year, sequence it the way you want...

rstately wrote:

But if ALL you LED's are from CDI, and you find out that they don't get any brighter than 70,or 80%. Than why not set them at the controller, so you don't have to re-sequence everything?

I get what you are saying now...

Will have to test that theory out sometime and see if my LED's act that way...

rstately wrote:

Ok, just thoght about it, that could mess up your timings a little?

Maybe test that before changing everything.

Yeah, but if it is correct, it would be good to do on new sequences...

pokrplr wrote:

DonFL wrote:
So on somewhat of a whim, I picked up three 200 light rolls of multi-colored LEDs at Lowes a couple weeks ago.

pssstttttt. I saw those and HD had the 250 sets for the same price. 50 extra bulbs :)

I have a 250 stand hooked into 4 70(ct) and noticed a nice fade, no snubby required

Yea, saw them too..a day later.

Thanks for rubbing it in..:(:P:D

LENNY RUEL wrote:

Don:

I have a mix of incans and LED's and you can set them by channel. I do it as I'm sequencing a song. I might have say 8 channels of each on a controller and I'll set the LED's and incans accordingly.

Lenny

got you now (i think..)...i was thinking the controller level min/max "intensity range"...need to dig a bit further within the editor and understand it there as far as doing what you are doing per channel.