Light-O-Rama Forums

LED string problem

csimmon5

Got some LEDs from LED Holiday Lighting in the presale in January and from what everyone is saying about them, I am glad to have even received them. My problem is that on 2 of the strings, only half of it works. I checked the fuses and they are good. It seems that the bad half starts after the middle rectifier (at least i think that is what it is called). Is there an easy way to fix this??

The LED strings are Half Wave, they are wired as 2 strings of lights just like the mini lights, except LED's are diodes and only come on when the voltage polarity is correct. So the lights are wired with one string to come on during the positive cycle of AC and the other string comes on during the negative cycle.

Your light string probably has replaceable bulbs as most retail lights and you got a couple of replacement bulbs. Also since you are from Hawaii humidity might be giving you some corrosion issues on the replaceable light contacts in the sockets.

You will have to check each light in the light string that is not working just like the mini incandescence lights.

A lot of use use sealed LED lights to prevent this issue.

csimmon5 wrote:

Got some LEDs from LED Holiday Lighting in the presale in January and from what everyone is saying about them, I am glad to have even received them. My problem is that on 2 of the strings, only half of it works. I checked the fuses and they are good. It seems that the bad half starts after the middle rectifier (at least i think that is what it is called). Is there an easy way to fix this??

I have same problem..lit up the lights last night, and sure enough, half of the string didn't light, but it was late, I was exhausted...took yesterday off, 10 hours of holiday illumination work...so tonite...Iwill crawl up that damn ladder and see if I can figure out Why? WHY OH GOD WHY NOW!!!

Dennis Cherry wrote:

Your light string probably has replaceable bulbs as most retail lights and you got a couple of replacement bulbs.

I would be surprised if Holiday Lighting sells strings with replaceable LED's...

I would think it is more likely a bad wire connection...

I know if you had bought them from CDI, they would send out a replacement same day...as they did for me.

thevikester wrote:

csimmon5 wrote:

I have same problem..lit up the lights last night, and sure enough, half of the string didn't light, but it was late, I was exhausted...took yesterday off, 10 hours of holiday illumination work...so tonite...Iwill crawl up that damn ladder and see if I can figure out Why? WHY OH GOD WHY NOW!!!

You lucky you don't live in Edmonton where it is -22 F!

I still feel for you.

PaulXmas wrote:

You lucky you don't live in Edmonton where it is -22 F!

I still feel for you.

I lived IN Minnesota and North Dakota alot of my adult life, I know what you are talking about..and yes, I am lucky! Workin in my shorts!

Dennis Cherry wrote:

The LED strings are Half Wave, they are wired as 2 strings of lights just like the mini lights, except LED's are diodes and only come on when the voltage polarity is correct. So the lights are wired with one string to come on during the positive cycle of AC and the other string comes on during the negative cycle.

Your light string probably has replaceable bulbs as most retail lights and you got a couple of replacement bulbs. Also since you are from Hawaii humidity might be giving you some corrosion issues on the replaceable light contacts in the sockets.

You will have to check each light in the light string that is not working just like the mini incandescence lights.

A lot of use use sealed LED lights to prevent this issue.

I am pretty sure they are Full Wave because it has 3 wires and looks to have rectifiers at the beginning, middle, and end. I have attached a picture. They are brand new lights and haven't been outside yet. Just took them out to test them. Is there an easy fix?

Attached files 222389=12300-SNV38460.JPG

csimmon5 wrote:

I am pretty sure they are Full Wave because it has 3 wires and looks to have rectifiers at the beginning, middle, and end. I have attached a picture. They are brand new lights and haven't been outside yet. Just took them out to test them. Is there an easy fix?

I have found the red lights have a rectifier in the middle but the blue, green and white ones do not...

• 3 months later...

I have found the led's corrode very easily. Go through all of the bulbs in the string and double check the led wires and make sure they are not corroded or are missing. If you cannot get them to work I would suggest removing the dead section and using what still works.

Thats why i buy from Creative displays..Paul honors his warrenty..I got a half string out myself yet i will wait until my next big order to save Paul the shipping on just one strand of Purple.