Light-O-Rama Forums

how many lights do you run per channel?

mdickenson

im wantiong to run to differant displays on one 16 channel lor to double my frt and side yard,do you think that setting up 1100 minis on one channel is to much....remember it will be running a sequence....input appreciated....i think it will be ok?.....mike

It's not the number of lights, it is all about the power.
There are many spreadsheets ect for calculating how much you can do, but it comes down to how many amps you are pulling.
My rule of thumb is 1 watt for every mini light. 120 watts = 1 amp. if you are using the PC controller with 2 separate power sources, it will go up to 15 amps per 1/2 of the controller, but personally I would not push it past 13 amps per side.

you can pick up a Kill A Watt meter at sears or home depot, that will let you know exactly how much electricity you are using.

What Jim said. You have to work backwards. What is your light draw? For a regular high power controller, you get 8 amps/channel, 15 amps side, 30 amps total - provided you have the proper power supply. Some boxes can go 20/40.

Personally, I would not self limit to 13 amps, but that's just me. You can easily estimate your draw. A better, though not perfect, option is the kill-a-watt.

Here is a page from PC to help estimate.
http://www.planetchristmas.com/FigurePower.htm