Light-O-Rama Forums

getting sequences from other's is a pain...

NoLor

Perhaps this is related to Amie's "I love LOR, but..." post...

Getting sequences from others is a real pain...It seems I have to edit each channel and change the unit and circuit number (which is a crappy user interface in and of itself) from what their mega tree, for example, used, to what I used.

It seems like a better way to handle this would be to have a separate channel editor that you can name your channels and assign unit/circuit numbers from there, so if the channels are at least named the same, the LOR sequence editor should just apply your channel mappings on top of it.

There has to be a better way to do this, other sharing sequences is a real pain, and since I don't see others complaining about it, I must be missing something.

My method for transferring sequences goes like this:

Assume your config file has 96 channels and the sequence you received is 128 channels.

* Open the new sequence.
* At the top row, add 96 blank channels above.
* Import your configuration file. You'll have 96 blank channels at the top with your names and controller info. The new sequence with 128 channels will be below these 96 channels.
* Using keyboard commands (Shift-End and Shift-Home), select entire rows (either singly or multiple rows using the Shift-down arrow button) and use Cntl-X to "cut" them from the new sequence and Cntl-V to paste them into your sequence at the top. Mega tree for Mega tree, arch for arch, mini trees for mini trees, etc. As you do this, you're making the new sequence rows at the bottom blank (so you know what you've used and copied already).
* Fill in your sequence at the top as much as you can match from the new sequence below.
* Fill in some of your own rows at the top or paste some rows from the new sequence twice (as appropriate).
* Fine-tune it as you need to; add chases or whatever else you need to.
* Delete the rows below the top 96 where the new sequence was. You can do this the fastest using the Channel Property Grid.

Once you get the method down, you can translate the new sequence to your layout in just a few minutes.....

Randy

Randy

I must also thank Randy ... as this has been the best method I have used ... and I appreciate him posting it for others so regularly.

Thanks !!!!

Scott

VirtualXmas wrote:

Getting sequences from others is a real pain...It seems I have to edit each channel and change the unit and circuit number

I have never used anyone else's sequences, just for this reason.

I prefer to do all my own from scratch. That's most of the fun of this hobby!