Light-O-Rama Forums

2010 Show

funnyent

Hi Everyone, I am new here and just wanted to make sure I have not forgotten anything as my light up night is scheduled to be November 29. I'm 16 now and have been working for about 2 years to make this show actually happen. I was inspired by Carson Williams, Holdman, Gordon Lights, and Never Enough Lights display. I have a 16 channel PC board and have built and tested it. I also bought the whole house fm transmitter. I am now programing my sequences. I have 4 done already. I have decided to just do them from scratch, as I want them to fit my display very well.

How many songs do most people have for their shows? I was thinking about doing 6 or 7 for this year.

Is there anything else I should be concerned about?

This is my first post, but I've received so much help from everyone on here by reading post posts.

Thanks for all of your help!
Tim Hermanson

You're gonna find that people do anywhere from a couple of songs up to 70 or more. Doesn't matter. If you're thinking of doing six or seven, I think that's an excellent number. Do them well and you'll see that custom sequencing looks better and is far more satisfying than using something done for a different yard. Be sure to post your videos. The only other thing you should be concerned about is whether you have enough extension cords.

Hi Tim, This is my first year also starting with 48 channels. Right now I have 5 songs basically done with a few tweaks to do. I have a sixth one started, not sure if I'll get more done or not. I'm wishing I had a transmitter, not much traffic stopping to watch the display. They don't realize that there's music going with the blinking lights.

With my display, I'm using over 80 extesion cords of various sizes, about 1300'. Looking back, I wished I had bought a spool of spt wire and plugs, less bulky cable runs, less connection points to potentially fail and maybe cheaper. I do buy when the sales are going. I have not priced what I've spent on cords verses a spool and plugs. Since you are still a beginner definately look into this to help you plan ahead instead of making runs to the store for more cords and maybe not on sale.

scubado wrote:

Hi Tim,  This is my first year also starting with 48 channels.  Right now I have 5 songs basically done with a few tweaks to do.  I have a sixth one started, not sure if I'll get more done or not.  I'm wishing I had a transmitter, not much traffic stopping to watch the display.  They don't realize that there's music going with the blinking lights.

I bought the whole house fm transmitter new of of ebay for about $100 and is showed up within 2 days. The distance on is seems to be very good.

George Simmons wrote:

You're gonna find that people do anywhere from a couple of songs up to 70 or more.  Doesn't matter.  If you're thinking of doing six or seven, I think that's an excellent number.  Do them well and you'll see that custom sequencing looks better and is far more satisfying than using something done for a different yard.  Be sure to post your videos.  The only other thing you should be concerned about is whether you have enough extension cords.   

Thanks for your reply! I have sort of overlooked the extension cords.

I've watched your display videos the past few years and really enjoy what you have done with the spinner things. I also really like the face on your house. Great job!

I'll post some videos one I get it up and running this weekend! This LOR stuff is so much fun!

scubado wrote:

I'm wishing I had a transmitter, not much traffic stopping to watch the display.

You're right about that. My first year I didn't have lighted signs out the first couple of nights telling people where to tune. After I got lights on the signs someone stopped by and mentioned that they had been there the evening before but not hearing the music the lights just didn't make any sense and they didn't stay very long. It's not too late to get a transmitter.

George Simmons wrote:

scubado wrote:
I'm wishing I had a transmitter, not much traffic stopping to watch the display.

You're right about that. My first year I didn't have lighted signs out the first couple of nights telling people where to tune. After I got lights on the signs someone stopped by and mentioned that they had been there the evening before but not hearing the music the lights just didn't make any sense and they didn't stay very long. It's not too late to get a transmitter.

I can't this year, already spent way more than planned. In Febuary I plan on picking up a part time job to go towards next years expansion.

Tim, be sure to go back to my first post on this page, I added more info for you to consider.

This is my first year also. I've started with just one controller of 16 channels. Now I wish had bought at least one more, but I wasn't sure how difficult this was going to be.

As for how many songs, I based my songs on length (about 17 minutes). I figure, if and when I do get some traffic, they'll move on when the first show is over and let the next group in to see the light show. Hopefully the neighbors won't get mad.

MikeH.

Wow, Tim. You an me are about on the same exact page. I'm 16 as well and have spent the better part of the last 3 years making this show happen. I am currently running 16 channels, figuring it would be the easiest thing to start with. Like everybody else, i found extension cords to be a top priority. I bought a 500 ft spool of spt2 wire and vampire plugs. They work phenomenal!

I have 7 songs making the show about 12 minutes long.