Light-O-Rama Forums

MP3 LOR Player

Guest guest

The REAL lights lag behind the music by about 2 seconds... on SOME songs... ONLY after making a show and copying the files to the SD card for use with the MP3 LOR module.

I have made all of my MP3 files I use for LOR using MusicMatch Jukebox encoding at 128 (CD quality).

When making the sequence, everything is perfect - both playing the viewable area and playing the entire song using Showtime.

I remember when I first started using LOR I did not use Musicmatch, and my sequence timing was off when I played the entire song using Showtime.

Today I finished setting up my lights for a Halloween show and noticed two out of three songs ended up not playing correctly off by two seconds. For example the beginning part of the Adams Family Theme... the first four notes are played and the lights start after the fourth note is played.

Interesting that the only show that played back correctly was from a Telarc Digital CD. The other two songs were from these cheap Halloween CDs.

Has anyone else run across this?

I ended up loading my Christmas Shows to see what they look like. Same thing again.. the two songs done by the Trans Siberian Orch were perfect. The other songs including two from Brian Setzer were off.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Walt

The CD type should not make a diffrence. What I would check is to see if the two songs that are not playing right to see if they are in a VBR, I have headr that mp3's in vbr will set it off a little.

--Daniel L

wbaker4 wrote:

The REAL lights lag behind the music by about 2 seconds... on SOME songs... ONLY after making a show and copying the files to the SD card for use with the MP3 LOR module.

I've never had problems when using MusicMatch to rip for the DC-MP3. However, one thing you could try is opening the MP3 with Audacity and exporting it as an MP3 to a new file, and using the new MP3. In the past this has always cleared up timing problems with MP3s regardless of how they were originally created.

If you're not sure how to get/configure/use Audacity for this purpose, here a link to a document I wrote a while back: http://lightorama.com/Documents/Audacity_Lame_128Kbps.pdf

Thanks for the information.

I ended up going back to my original program that I used but had timing problems with when I used it with LOR. The program is called CDex. This time, before I used it, I made sure it was set to rip the CDs at 128kbs and Fixed Bit rate was set.

After I transfered the Addam's Family song using CDex, I loaded it into LOR and ran the Addams' Family Show. The song started 2 seconds before the light show (same as when it was loaded on the MP3 card)! I removed the slack time at the start of the show to put everything back in time, and then I loaded it onto the SD card for the MP3 player and the timing is perfect.

Not sure if Dan has ever seen this happen. I can send him the sequence and song if he is interested.

wbaker4 wrote:

Thanks for the information.

I ended up going back to my original program that I used but had timing problems with when I used it with LOR. The program is called CDex. This time, before I used it, I made sure it was set to rip the CDs at 128kbs and Fixed Bit rate was set.

After I transfered the Addam's Family song using CDex, I loaded it into LOR and ran the Addams' Family Show. The song started 2 seconds before the light show (same as when it was loaded on the MP3 card)! I removed the slack time at the start of the show to put everything back in time, and then I loaded it onto the SD card for the MP3 player and the timing is perfect.

Not sure if Dan has ever seen this happen. I can send him the sequence and song if he is interested.

I have seen this happen before. As LightORama John mentioned using Audacity has always fixed this problem. The strange thing is that the DC-MP3 seems to be correct in these cases??? Once the MP3 file is fixed, Windows Media Player starts the song at a different delay and you need to adjust the sequence (usually by removing time at the beginning) But the DC-MP3 works the same with either MP3 file.....

The thing to do when your DC-MP3 does not seem to be in sync with the PC is to puzzle it out like Walt did and if not that you can use Audacity.