Light-O-Rama Forums

v2.8.12 problems

stanward

I am running across these problems with the new version.

1. When first opening the sequence editor and opening a sequence to edit for the first time, it takes 10 seconds before the editor starts playing the sequence (10 seconds after I press the play button).

2. After repeated playing of a selection, the actual song and sequence (and waveform) is out of sync. I have to play the sequence from the beginning to resync.

3. When playing a selection of the sequence, I only select the portion I want to hear and see. But the audio plays a bit more than I selected. This happens all the time.

It sounds as though this may be more of a song issue than the software issue. Are you sure your songs are a constant bit rate and not variable? This will cause timings to be off.

I am using only CBR mp3 files.

This problem never occurred with the version 2.7.xx that I have used last year. Question is, why would it happen now?

I converted one of my mp3 files to wave. It got rid of all 3 of my problems. Why is the CBR mp3 files terrible? Another question, why is my waveform off by 0.15 seconds in reference to the music and the actual sequence? I had this problem when the media file was a CBR mp3 and when I converted to wave.

What is the consensus here, CBR mp3 or Wave?

JBullard wrote:

Are you using MP3s or WAV for the the music? If MP3, convert to WAV and see if the same thing happens.

I installed 2.8.12 and now I am having problems with the editor playing the songs. I am using all MP3 files. I have several different computers some of the older and it just has been easier to keep it all MP3.

If I have to upgrade all of them to use wave files I think I will go back to 2.7.

toddmoon wrote:

I reinstalled 2.7.6 and problem solved. 2.8.12 does not like MP3 I guess.

I can't say I know of any issues with MP3 and the 2.8.x series. I'm running 2.8.10 and have not noticed a single issue.

As soon as I reinstalled 2.7.6 all of the sequence editor issues I was having went away that I was experiencing on 2.8.12.

Tonight I fire up my light show and I do not have the time to figure out the issues. I just need it to work and I am not having issues with 2.7.6.

Good news Todd... glad you got it figured out. Just one more example of why I will NEVER, EVER, EVER upgrade hardware, software or firmware this close to show time, especially since I've used CBR mp3 files for three years now with not one issue. The way I look at it, 2.8.whatever or 2.9.whatever will still be there for experimenting after the first of the year.

Yes George lesson learned. I installed the latest software to a new computer to finish some programming and the MP3 files would not work with the sequence editor.

Installing new software two days before the show was not the thing to do.

Will sequences programmed in 2.8.12 run under the older version from like 2.6 that I used for 2009?

If I keep having the problems I have been I would like to fall back to a previous version and see if it works any better.