Light-O-Rama Forums

Freakin Rabbit already chewed through cat 5 cable

huskernut

I went to do a test tonight and one controller did nothing, and it had worked 2 nights before. So after digging around what do i find but cat 5 cable chewed up.

I dont want to kill them but does anyone have a method to keep them away from the wire. There must be something in it that they like, last year it was a couple of sets of lights they chewed up.

Over the course of twenty years or so doing what I consider some serious decorating I've never met a rabbit or a squirrel who could be reasoned with. Not a single one. But I have discovered that they sure like that sticky, sweet stuff you put in your car radiator. In fact, they like it so much it magically stops them from chewing any more cords.

1 gallon of Peak: $7.95

Listening to Sharon complain when she sees kitchen bowls in the yard: minimal

The satisfaction of not having to replace a $15.00 extension cord or several $10.00 sets of LEDs or not having to rewire any wire-frame devices: Priceless!

Try it - you'll like it.

Not positive about this, but I think Antifreeze is poison and that will kill them.

Last year I lost 12 sets to rabbits so I feel your pain! So this year, I stopped by a local nursery and they suggested some garlic sticks. they are little plastic sticks that you poke a hole in to release the odor. and boy to they stink! you clip them to the plant/items you want to detour the rabbits away.

George Simmons wrote:

Over the course of twenty years or so doing what I consider some serious decorating I've never met a rabbit or a squirrel who could be reasoned with. Not a single one. But I have discovered that they sure like that sticky, sweet stuff you put in your car radiator. In fact, they like it so much it magically stops them from chewing any more cords.

1 gallon of Peak: $7.95

Listening to Sharon complain when she sees kitchen bowls in the yard: minimal

The satisfaction of not having to replace a $15.00 extension cord or several $10.00 sets of LEDs or not having to rewire any wire-frame devices: Priceless!

Try it - you'll like it.

Nice though. But Antifreeze is poison! And in my state, and maybe others, its illegal to place it out purposely! Because of stray cats, dogs, and other wild animals, that could eat it and die! Check your local law FIRST!

We don't have a rabbit problem in New Hampshire - the Fisher Cats took care of most of them. Got lots of mice and chippies though; keeps my cat busy!

Damn chippies have taken over my yard since we don't have cats anymore. I've tried bribing other neighborhood cats to come take care of our yard without much luck.

We have a stupid bylaw in Edmonton that bans cats running wild.

Now I see mice all the time!

Have always see rabbits but so far (knock on wood) no problems with them eating any cables.

I have an Official Red Rider Carbine-Action Two Hundred Shot Range Model Air Riffle with Compass in the Stock on the front porch.

It's very humanitarian, because it is accurate to 6 inches at 20 feet, and if you do actually hit the rabbit, it is not strong enough to penetrate the skin.

huskernut wrote:

I went to do a test tonight and one controller did nothing, and it had worked 2 nights before.  So after digging around what do i find but cat 5 cable chewed up.

I am in a wetlands and have rabbits, deer, coyotes, bigfoot all wanting to attack my 13-acre display. I use PsyOps like I did in Vietnam.
http://www.pleasantgrovechristmas.com/deer

Also, the critters are trying to get salt. I put salt blocks out away from the lights.

Someone suggested to use ammonia on squirrels. I haven't put out my lights yet so I don't know its effectiveness yest. I don't have rabbits but its worth a try. Its cheap too!

• 4 weeks later...

I don't know how long your runs are, but 1/2" PVC is pretty cheap, comes in 10' lengths, can be painted black (or green) to not be seen at night and protects the cables from anyone stomping through the yard.