Light-O-Rama Forums

Mega Tree Guy Wire length

captainron19

OK so let me know if I figured this out ok....

Been told that my guy wires should extend out to the ground the same distance as the height of my mega tree which is 20 feet. Dont have it set up yet so I couldnt test it so worked out calculations last night using the Pythagorean theory for an isosceles triangle. a (squared) + b ( squared) = c (squared)

So with a 20' high tree I calculated the distance out for my guy wire in the ground to be a little over 29' from the base of the mega tree... sound right?

20(squared) + 20 (squared) = c (squared)
400 + 400 = c (squared)
800 = c (squared)

Square root of 800 = 28.284

Cant remember how many times in high school I said to myself... "When the heck will we ever need this stupid calculation" LOL

captainron19 wrote:

OK so let me know if I figured this out ok....

Been told that my guy wires should extend out to the ground the same distance as the height of my mega tree which is 20 feet. Dont have it set up yet so I couldnt test it so worked out calculations last night using the Pythagorean theory for an isosceles triangle. a (squared) + b ( squared) = c (squared)

So with a 20' high tree I calculated the distance out for my guy wire in the ground to be a little over 29' from the base of the mega tree... sound right?

All of my guy wires are a different length, because I run out of yard in some directions. The most important thing, in my opinion, is that all the guy wires have the SAME tension.