Light-O-Rama Forums

totally confused- LOR power?

Guest guest

Ok, we have hung almost everything and we are running extensions cords, labeled with the channel number to the designated LOR spot where the boxes will go when they arrive

We checked each "channel" with the watts up to make sure we didn't go over the 8 amps per channel, 15 amps per side

Here's my dilemma, I just realized, I must be doing something wrong...

Normally, we plug our lights in all over the place - front yard, thru a window inside the house, backyard, garage, etc.

This year we have run all the cables to the LOR spot, so...in theory, I plug all these cables into the LOR, and the four LOR boxes plug in to each other, and I plug the whole thing....

INTO ONE PLUG???

How can that be right?

Am I supposed to put the four boxes in four different places and then just cable them up?

Thanks, as you may know, we ar trying to "make Halloween" despite the fact that we have't gotten our boxes yet.

Thanks again,

Susy

bridegirl wrote:

Ok, we have hung almost everything and we are running extensions cords, labeled with the channel number to the designated LOR spot where the boxes will go when they arrive

We checked each "channel" with the watts up to make sure we didn't go over the 8 amps per channel, 15 amps per side

Here's my dilemma, I just realized, I must be doing something wrong...

Normally, we plug our lights in all over the place - front yard, thru a window inside the house, backyard, garage, etc.

This year we have run all the cables to the LOR spot, so...in theory, I plug all these cables into the LOR, and the four LOR boxes plug in to each other, and I plug the whole thing....

INTO ONE PLUG???

How can that be right?

Am I supposed to put the four boxes in four different places and then just cable them up?

Thanks, as you may know, we ar trying to "make Halloween" despite the fact that we have't gotten our boxes yet.

Thanks again,

Susy

The power for the varioius LOR boxes can come from various sources. You don't daisy-chain the power cables, you daisy-chain the control cables. The signal will travel from box to box to turn on the desired channels. Each box can get its power from a separate breaker/circuit if that's what your setup requires.

Have fun!

-Tim

One outlet for 4 controllers will surely pop a breaker. As Tim mentioned above, seperate the boxes to 4 different locations that are on 4 different breakers. But even with this (and depending on how many lights you are running from each controller), you run a high chance of popping a breaker. You might be running a hair drier in the bath room, or the toaster oven in the kitchen. These simple sources could pop a breaker during your show depending on the amps those individual circuits are drawing. Circuitry in home electrical is ran in many different ways so you might want to run some tests to see what each circuit is running and put a test load on each one you plan to use to see what each circuit can handle on top of regular household use.

Just my thoughts,

Tom

Santas Helper wrote:

One outlet for 4 controllers will surely pop a breaker.

Well, it really depends. I have some controllers with only a single 100-count string on each channel. In that case you'd be fine...

-Tim

Thanks, I get it now that you guys explained it so clearly.

We will put the boxes in four different places.

However, I ran into some snags trying to get each box to meet those amps requirements - need to crack that problem now.

Thanks again,

Susy