Light-O-Rama Forums

New to LOR? I have a FAQ which may help.

Guest guest

For those who may have missed it in my signature, I have a LOR FAQ that I've been working on for a few months now. It's by no means complete! However, I took questions from the old forum that were asked over and over, and put them in one place.

If you see a question that you think should be on there, simply reply to this thread. If you know the answer, please go ahead and put that here to. It will save me a lot of typing, etc. It will also give everyone a chance to comment on the answer before I add it.

That address is: http://www.wonderlandchristmas.com/lorfaq/lorfaq.php

01/29/2006 - I've started a Wiki for LOR. You can see it, and contribute at - http://www.donteague.com/lorwiki

I was going to bring this up in the discussion of the FAQ page, but didn't so I will ask here. There seems to be a lot of the same questions asked on a consistent basis, and most people wouldn't use a FAQ page to find an answer and really don't search the board either I was thinking maybe we could create a FAQ/help file and have it sticky at the top of the forum. I am thinking something like a windows help file where the most common questions are answered. I know everyone keeps asking Dan about increasing the help file with LOR but this may be a good basis of where the documentation needs to be focused, or good enough so they don't have to work their help file and can work on LOR 3 ;) I know there are some free help creators and wink is a great tool too for the visual side: http://www.debugmode.com/wink/ I find the visual additions in documentation a great help. 'Tell me I listen, show me I learn'..

Just a thought, and not to take anything away from Don's which was a great help for me!

There was a time on this board when I was opposed to sticky topics. Now it seems that if the topic hasn't been replied to in a day or so, the sticky drops from the "Recent" view. (Which is the view I use all the time.)

I don't object to my site being stuck at the top of the page. Though, I would hope that if it is, people would continue to suggest questions that need to be added.

Don,
Nice Job. My controller is on the way and I will be using it often. I would love to see a place where people can upload and share sequences. That would be a great tool to show off and help the newbies a lot.

Flanman

flanman wrote:

Don,
Nice Job. My controller is on the way and I will be using it often. I would love to see a place where people can upload and share sequences. That would be a great tool to show off and help the newbies a lot.

Flanman

I have added a page on my website where you can upload sequences, I will be adding a page this weekend for them to be downloaded. Hopefully we get more people to share.. http://www.kreepyhollow.com/Khristmas/Sequence.htm I will be adding some howto's on it as well, but that won't be until the first of year

The problem with sharing sequences comes down to the music.

Legally, you can't send the music to someone without violating copyright laws. Thus, if a song is edited, you either have to give detailed instructions as to the edits you made, or risk getting caught.

That said, I don't mind sharing what I have, though most of my music is edited for length. There are some Christmas songs that you can download for free at Amazon.com. If one were to sequence those songs, you could share the sequence. Though to follow copyright laws, the person would have to go to Amazon.com and download the music themselves.

Don wrote:

The problem with sharing sequences comes down to the music.

Legally, you can't send the music to someone without violating copyright laws. Thus, if a song is edited, you either have to give detailed instructions as to the edits you made, or risk getting caught.

That said, I don't mind sharing what I have, though most of my music is edited for length. There are some Christmas songs that you can download for free at Amazon.com. If one were to sequence those songs, you could share the sequence. Though to follow copyright laws, the person would have to go to Amazon.com and download the music themselves.

Don, I would be intersted in any sequences you wouldn't mind sharing. Right now the sequneces I am working on are full length songs since I don't have to worry about traffic, but there a couple of songs that I want to take clips out of, TSO's Whowille medley for example. I figure when I do that I will track the hash marks where I cut the song and when post the cuts with the sequence.

Hmm, would be nice to be able to edit the LOR files and insert comments into it....

• 4 weeks later...

Maybe the moderator could sticky this post, to keep the pointer to the FAQ at the top of the forum listing? Would make it easier for everyone to see, and then Don would not have to "bump" it?

Just a thought.

Doug C.

Found the first part of the 'How many lights' addition confusing.

A 'standard' string of 100 count mini lights is .34amps. If you divide 30amps by .34amps, you get 88.23. This means you could have about 8800 lights on a 16 channel, 30amp controller. If you were to evenly space these out, you would have about 5.5 strands per channel. Throw away that half strand per channel, and you can run about 8000 lights per channel.

You refer to a string then a strand then just lights. To help us simple minded folk it would be good to stick to one name when writing a FAQ and equate that one name to other names only if necessary. As in, 'have about 5.5 strings or 550 lights per channel'.

Maybe my interpretation is wrong but shouldn't the red highlight above read something like '8000 lights or 80 strings on one 16 channel 30 amp controller' instead of '8000 lights per channel'?

I guess I could have been more clear. In the first example, it's all based on a 'standard' string of 100 count mini lights, at .34amps per string. I'll clean that up tonight.

You are correct on the highlighted red part, that should have been "on a standard 16 channel, 30amp controller." That will get fixed tonight as well.

It was late when I wrote that question. I could go back and clear up the 'string/strand' issue. I passed my grammar classes, but not by much. :)

As a newbie I have done some searches, and I am attempting to locate the information. One of the confusing things to me is... where do I start.

I have been searching, reading, downloading, and I am still sort of confused. Some people say this, and others say that. So I sit here trying different things.

IMO, if there was a "LOR for Newbies" page that walked someone step by step what they need to do to setup a very basic eight channel with no music and an eight channel with music, it would be nice. This way a newbie could hook up the LOR along with eight strings of lights, and get it done within a few hours. Something real simple.

That would give the person a basic background, they would have already created their first show, and have a sense of accomplishment.

Then again... that is only my opinion... :-)

Rick wrote:

IMO, if there was a "LOR for Newbies" page that walked someone step by step what they need to do to setup a very basic eight channel with no music and an eight channel with music, it would be nice. This way a newbie could hook up the LOR along with eight strings of lights, and get it done within a few hours. Something real simple.

Rick you have hit the nail on the head. LOR is lacking in documentation and we are working now to fix that situation. By the end of this month we will have a Step-by-step set of instructions that will do exactly what you describe.

Don has some good help on his website and there is the help files with LOR that have a "getting started" section.

Dan,
That is wonderful news! Documentation sounds wonderful! I'm the type of person who usually reads the manual. Anyway, will an email be sent to all current users of LOR software letting us know that the documentation is ready or should I just keep an eye on the chat?

Thanks,
Sally Simpson (aka newbie from PA)

sasmuse wrote:

That is wonderful news! Documentation sounds wonderful! I'm the type of person who usually reads the manual. Anyway, will an email be sent to all current users of LOR software letting us know that the documentation is ready or should I just keep an eye on the chat?

We will send out an email! but I would also check in here at PC frequently... (just for the fun of it:)

Dan,

That's great because I'm a newbie also and a little confused with the different terminology used so more doc's would be excellent.

When this is available will you also post to the "Heads-Up" forum, I usually that first because I'm just and looking for deals,

Thanks for the info

Tom

Attn Dan

Two Of the topic I can not find one is how to up-grade the LOR program, the other is When I do get the registered copy of the program I thought I read that I will need to down load the rest of the program, If so will I ever get a "hard copy" of the program for future use? as of now i only crashed this computer twice since I started playing with the LOR program.

Thanks
Rich in NJ

Rich in NJ wrote:

Attn Dan

Two Of the topic I can not find one is how to up-grade the LOR program, the other is When I do get the registered copy of the program I thought I read that I will need to down load the rest of the program, If so will I ever get a "hard copy" of the program for future use? as of now i only crashed this computer twice since I started playing with the LOR program.

Thanks
Rich in NJ

Rich,

We advertize that the software is a download ( as you know )... We are going to add a new option so you can get a CD with the software. As of right now, we mail out CDs to anyone that has problems with downloading or just has to have one.

If you ever need the software you can email us and we will send you a link to it. That goes for upgrades as well. We send a link to the software and it installs over the existing version... all data files are protected.