Light-O-Rama Forums

Minionweb LED Floods Test

CLD Kevin

I kinda upset with Minionweb.com. I bought several LED floods from them...Orange, Red, Blue & Green. 6 of each color of the 72 & 120 LED’s. When they arrived, I just made sure that all worked but didn’t check anything else with them. I only used the Orange, Red & Blue for my Halloween shows. Green was no used...using Green for Christmas. During my shows, I noticed that none were fading at all. I emailed Minionweb and explain my concerns and they were very quickly to respond. Fact is they tested a set of LED’s using LOR controller and responded back that their tested good with no problems fading. I eventually found out I was using an older firmware and after the upgrade to 4.32, the Blue & Green fades great. The LED’s don’t start to fade until 65%...so from 100% to 65%, no fade. I’m not totally satisfied, but I can work with that. The Orange and Red will not fade at all with or without a snubber. They are full on until it reaches about 20%, then full off. I tested with 3 different LOR controllers and several different channels. All with the exact same results. Again I emailed Minionweb, told them what I found and asked if they tested the Red & Orange LED’s. This was 2 weeks ago. And after 4 follow up emails, I still have not received a response back. So without a response, my conclusion is they found the exact problems and don’t know how to respond.

I’m just looking for a response and possible a solution. They advertise that their LED’s fade and are 100% compatible with LOR. So maybe the vendor changed the product for 2010. Just wish they would respond. Ignoring my emails is not a way to do business. I’m just putting this out as a caution if you’re looking for LED floods that fade, you may want to look elsewhere.

Here is a video of the LED’s in action. There are 2 clips. The first clips is all 4 colors fade from 100% to 0% for 8 seconds and the second clip is all 4 colors fade from 65% to 0% for 8 seconds. The first clip, no fading happens for the first 3 to 4 seconds because the LED’s won’t fade from 100% to 65%. The second clip, the fade starts quickly. As you can clearly see...the Orange & Red DO NOT fade at all compared with the Blue & Green.

http://www.vimeo.com/16827020

Another thing I noticed during my test is one of the Green LED’s has 5 burnt out LED’s...it's defective. It’s never been used. I emailed them about this and no response.

DonFL wrote:

http://www.minionsweb.com/osStore/led-bulb-faqs-i-14.html

I'm assuming you are referencing the PAR style floods. If you read their faq, they are pretty non-commital about use with dimmers and controllers.

You are correct. They do not guarantee 100% they will work for LOR. I want to clarify if I gave the wrong impression. I did not state to not buy them. I just said if you want the ability to fade, you may want to look elsewhere. I think the quality of these LED are great. I washed my whole front house with 4 of them, so I was impressed with that fact. And had no problems with twinkle or shimmering. Sure I was disappointed that they didn’t fade and I will admit that I was upset about that. But, there FAQ did state they may not work with LOR…so I will just chalk it up as that. Corey did reply back earlier that they had no problems fading with SS2 2.6.2. Maybe the firmware from that release worked and the latest doesn’t. I don’t know and won’t try to guess. I will probably still use them in my shows as strictly an on/off lights. I’m looking at maybe Rainbows for next year.

I second and third that too! Greg's Rainbow Floods and Spots are the best I've seen, and reading abt problems with PAR-type, RF's and RS are the way to go.

Cracker

It is my apologies you hadnt had a response.
The email may not have been sent as much was a blur just before halloween.
We closed 10 days later than expected for the season fulfilling last minute orders, which left us with all but 2 days to set up our halloween.
Technically we are closed until the 20th and I will follow up thoroughly after that.

I thought I had responded to you regarding red/orange, I could not emulate the lack of fade you are getting.
Also had asked if you could contact me regarding an RMA for the green bulb.
We consider a 10% LED outage replacable under warrantee.
I cannot recall which qnty LED bulb this was (I am out of state at IAAPA and do not have your actual name from your LOR forum ID to look up the order info without those emails in front of me)
But I can relate to getting something with issues out of the box, so obviously a replacement is warranted.

At the moment I am at IAAPA.
I will be back and in contact next week so we can spend some time comparing notes, soft/firm-ware, etc and get the matters cleared.

Corey

• 6 months later...

minionsweb wrote:

Cracker

We closed 10 days later than expected for the season fulfilling last minute orders, which left us with all but 2 days to set up our halloween.
Technically we are closed until the 20th and I will follow up thoroughly after that.

I thought I had responded to you regarding red/orange, I could not emulate the lack of fade you are getting.
I cannot recall which qnty LED bulb this was (I am out of state at IAAPA and do not have your actual name from your LOR forum ID to look up the order info without those emails in front of me)
But I can relate to getting something with issues out of the box, so obviously a replacement is warranted.

I will be back and in contact next week so we can spend some time comparing notes, soft/firm-ware, etc and get the matters cleared.

Corey

I’m usually the last person to say bad things about people. I believe sometimes things go wrong and people deserve another chance. I think I gave them that and more….

Back in November I complained about Minionsweb LEDs not fading and the lack of responses. Corey responded to this post and stated he would work with me on a warranty issue and fading problem. Well it’s been 6 month and I have nothing resolved.

Corey did give me a RMA number to send in 3 of the floods in January. Some of the LEDs in the flood burned out and the lens cover fell off due to poor silicon adhesive. I ship them back on my dime ….and nothing. Never received the replacements. Tracking number shows they delivered. I emailed and called several times…no response. I finally got fed up and filed a complaint with the BBB 6 weeks ago. No response to me or to the BBB. You can probably guess if the problem was solved with fading. No emails, no response, nothing!

I’m sure the people here are not pounding on their door for these floods...So many better options now. For me, I’m changing to Rainbow Floods. I just wanted to say...well, I shouldn’t say what I want to say. But if I did, I don’t think anyone could blame me. Do not buy anything from Minionsweb! Do not buy anything from Minionsweb! Do not buy anything from Minionsweb! That’s not what I really want to say...I will refrain.

I’m defiantly out the $70 for the 3 LEDs + shipping. And I’m out $400 more for the other LED floods that I still have but refuse to use. Again, DO NOT BUY ANYTHING FROM MINIONSWEB!!!!!

Cracker wrote:

minionsweb wrote:
Cracker

Corey

I’m usually the last person to say bad things about people. I believe sometimes things go wrong and people deserve another chance. I think I gave them that and more….

Back in November I complained about Minionsweb LEDs not fading and the lack of responses. Corey responded to this post and stated he would work with me on a warranty issue and fading problem. Well it’s been 6 month and I have nothing resolved.

Corey did give me a RMA number to send in 3 of the floods in January. Some of the LEDs in the flood burned out and the lens cover fell off due to poor silicon adhesive. I ship them back on my dime ….and nothing. Never received the replacements. Tracking number shows they delivered. I emailed and called several times…no response. I finally got fed up and filed a complaint with the BBB 6 weeks ago. No response to me or to the BBB. You can probably guess if the problem was solved with fading. No emails, no response, nothing!

I’m sure the people here are not pounding on their door for these floods...So many better options now. For me, I’m changing to Rainbow Floods. I just wanted to say...well, I shouldn’t say what I want to say. But if I did, I don’t think anyone could blame me. Do not buy anything from Minionsweb! Do not buy anything from Minionsweb! Do not buy anything from Minionsweb! That’s not what I really want to say...I will refrain.

I’m defiantly out the $70 for the 3 LEDs + shipping. And I’m out $400 more for the other LED floods that I still have but refuse to use. Again, DO NOT BUY ANYTHING FROM MINIONSWEB!!!!!

Sorry to hear that Cracker. I posted on the forum 2 holiday decorating seasons back that of the 13 floods I purchased from Corey, the glass came off (to date 10 of the 13). I was able to slicone each back on without issue, but one lens had cracked when it hit the ground, so I cut a piece of lexan to replace it.

I informed Corey abck then and he let me know it was a problem with the manufacture of same, so this is not a new issue.

I had no issues with LED failures, nor with R, G, or B floods fading. They faded very nicely, so this must be a new batch.

Greg