Light-O-Rama Forums

electrical

Terry Hurrle

I am puzzled. I can plug my controller in to a non gfci circuit and it works. I plug it in with nothing on it to a gfci circuit and nothing. If I plug a surge protector into the gfci and the controller into it it works. Any idea what the heck is going on with this???????

Terry Hurrle wrote:

I am puzzled. I can plug my controller in to a non gfci circuit and it works. I plug it in with nothing on it to a gfci circuit and nothing. If I plug a surge protector into the gfci and the controller into it it works. Any idea what the heck is going on with this???????

Which model of controller?

Does anything else work plugged into the GFCI outlet?

When you plug into the GFCI outlet, has the plug accidentally contacted the outlet "test" button?

Jim,

Which model of controller?

CTB16PC

Does anything else work plugged into the GFCI outlet?
Yes other controllers work fine just the one giving me trouble

When you plug into the GFCI outlet, has the plug accidentally contacted the outlet "test" button?

No. the one controller in question was tripping the gfci when lights hooked up . unplugged the lights but it still does not work on any gfci circuit but does on non-gfci circuits or when connected to the gfci circuit through a surge protector strip.

Terry Hurrle wrote:

I posted in another area last night about a controller not working. It is kicking the gfci. I will go out to day and disconnect all the lights and elements that go to it. I was thinking maybe the polarity on one of the the cords I made ( or more than one) may be wrong. Would this cause the gfci to trip? I am hoping it is something that simple.

I just saw this post from you in another thread.

From your first post I thought you didn't have anything connected to the controller, but this post from the other thread seemed to indicate things were attached to the controller when the GFCI was connected.

I replied in the other thread if you have items connected to the controller the answer is different

have you confirmed that the black "HOT" wires coming into the controller are not connected to the neutral tabs? if they are switched that could cause this?

Jim,
At this point nothing is connected to it. I unplugged everything trying to figure this out. Sometimes when it is plugged in it trips the gfci and others it does not. It is the only controller of the four I have doing this.
Terry

oops sorry John. Frustrated today. I just brought the unit inside and hooked to computer. all channels work fine. ran it with night lights plugged in and every channel fires. There is clearly a problem out side but all the other units work fine on the same two circuits. Sill puzzled.
Terry

Terry Hurrle wrote:

Don't know if anyone here can help but I will try this forum for an answer. I have three lor controllers in a box. Two will work on any circuit. The third one will not work on any gfci circuit but I can plug it in the garage and it will work fine. I hooked it to the computer and all works. Sometimes it will trip the gfci some times not. It is puzzling. Any suggestions?

Terry,

Saw this post from you on DIYC.

From this post it appears that you have 3 PC boards in the same box ???

If so, have you checked that all neutrals and hot wires are correct?

A GFCI trips when there is an current imbalance between the hot and neutral lines.

No I have three controllers each in their own box then mounted in a large Stanley chest. I think I have a problem around my arches or mini trees from what I can figure. Will check it out today.