Light-O-Rama Forums

Decorating Opinion

captainron19

OK just looking for decorating input here...

First year with arches (gonna be about 3-4 feet height) and I have four of the. I did 7 channels per arch and bought 2 LOR Units for the arches which leaves me with 4 channels left over.

In June I bought 4 folding stars with the intention of putting 1 under each arch but when I got them found they would not fit (too high) so I will just use them somewhere else in my static display

So now I was looking for something to do with those extra channels so I looked at Home depot last night and they had a set of 5 Mini Trees 18"with white lights high so I figured I could put a set of 5 under each arch , then I saw those large 12" colored bulbs (in sets of 5) but wasn't sure if I would want them under my arches which are all white.

Then I thought.... do I really want to put items under my arches? Thought it might take away so I am now thinking of putting these 4 channels of whatever behind the arches in my flower bed.

Any opinions?

Thats definitely what I was leaning towards and what my wife recommended but I didn't want to give her the credit of being right. So, I thought I would ask it here and tell her I am taking the recommendations from the people here in the forum.

I can type that confidently because she doesnt visit the forum LOL

On the same note of suggestions ......

From this picture of my layout http://www.pbase.com/dgeall/image/123549588

I have 200 white LEDs per mini tree ... I am afraid they will take away from the arches. I guess the only real way to tell is to put them out and see how it looks.

Any comments ?!

Dave

RaceMedic wrote:

On the same note of suggestions ......

From this picture of my layout http://www.pbase.com/dgeall/image/123549588

I have 200 white LEDs per mini tree ... I am afraid they will take away from the arches. I guess the only real way to tell is to put them out and see how it looks.

Any comments ?!

Dave

Well I guess I am in trouble because this is my second year having 16 mini trees in front of my 4 arches. Out here in the west we think different than the east. lol

However I like doing things different anyway so this year I am adding 2 16 channel ______________ to go under two of the arches. If it works like I think it will then I plan to modify the design for 2011 and really make it look good. Sorry but I want it kept hush, hush.

They turn on at a different time than the arches so no conflict, no taking away from the arches.

Captain Ron you could keep those four channels as spares just in case of channel failure on 1 arch or so. Many do that. I am different as I use all the channels and I have 1 spare controller.

Mine are under my arches and between the arches. Three arches 5 mini trees. I will be running a test of the lights tonight so if I don't like it I have time to make a quick change. I guess the true answer is do what you think you will like. I am sure there will be no animated light critics out on patrol to shut you down. (all in humor)
Terry

I'm putting 6 mini's in FRONT of the arches too. In watching the display work its magic, there's no conflict with them vs the arches. Now if they all turn on at the same time, could be trajic. I did have that issue with a few songs. Went back and fixed, short and simple fix. And thats why my newb skills will be soooooo much better next year. Live & learn. Again, part of the reason my stuff went up so fast.

Thanks for all the feedback .... I was concerned that the 200 ct LEDs would be too bright !!

Time to test them tonight !

Dave

Just an opinion here (and we all know what opinions are like):

I don't see a problem putting elements under or in front of the arches, as long as the actual arches are still completely visible. After all, it is the motion of the light across the arch that draws the eye (and the WOW response from the viewer). If it is of any concern, the elements under the arches should be on separate channels from the arches, and can be OFF when you fire the arches. Besides, few are going to sequence their music with the arches firing non-stop the entire time. So fill the space with other elements and use them when the arches are off.

Like I said, JMHO.

Thanks for the input guys..... I chose to go with NOT putting anything under my arches. Instead (for the 4 open channels) and am using the 18" Spiral Minis from Home Depot (5 trees per box) and I bought 4 boxes. I am going to put them to the rear of my arches (about 20 feet away) on a landscaping wall so they will actually be a little elevated.

I really never cared for spiral trees much because how tangled they get when putting them away and figured they would fall over a lot with the wind if I put them on the landscaping block - each base is "T" shaped.

Instead I bought to pieces of 2 x 6 pressure treated lumber and cut each piece to 6'11", painted them black and on each piece I mounted 10 trees (2 channels). I used those heavy duty electrician wire staples that you have to hammer in to secure each stand to the wood.

End of the season I just plan on leaving them attached and put away as is by sitting it on a pair of those bicycle supports that can screw into the floor joists of my basement ceiling.

Pic below of finished product...

Attached files 220172=12209-trees.jpg

lightzilla wrote:

However I like doing things different anyway so this year I am adding 2 16 channel ______________ to go under two of the arches. If it works like I think it will then I plan to modify the design for 2011 and really make it look good. Sorry but I want it kept hush, hush.

I have a hush hush element as well !

Driving past my house you can see it.

Should give my show the "WOW" factor this year.

Need a bigger yard!

PaulXmas wrote:

lightzilla wrote:

I have a hush hush element as well !

Driving past my house you can see it.

Should give my show the "WOW" factor this year.

Need a bigger yard!

Don't make me drive up there!! I have way too much to do ...but I do love a good wow factor!!

If your arches are 3 in line, then you could use the 4 channels to create splash pools at the end of each arch / arch pair. This simply adds another program channel to the arches, I did this last year and was very happy with the results - see

Regards Geoff

Capt Ron,

Why can't you give your wife the credit she deserves. You guys always crush our ideas even when they are the right thing. Come on, at least once let her know that you like one of her ideas!!

Denise

Had a last minute brain storm and I added these 50" stars to my roof-line to the left of the 4 sets of mini trees and I am going to tie them in to the 4 channels for the mini trees.

Attached files 221926=12282-stars.jpg

Guest Don Gillespie

Geoff Harvey wrote:

If your arches are 3 in line, then you could use the 4 channels to create splash pools at the end of each arch / arch pair. This simply adds another program channel to the arches, I did this last year and was very happy with the results - see

Regards Geoff

Geoff that looks fantastic your house is quite similar to mine gives me some neat ideas hope you don't mind if I borrow some of your decorating ideas for our house