Light-O-Rama Forums

copy or cut and paste

jmraider

jmraider wrote:

Is there a way to copy a pattern from one squence into another squence?

Can you open two squences at the same time?

Yes to both question. On copy and paste, pick the pattern you want,highlight it, control c to copy, go to the where you want it, highlight the first cell,control v to paste. If you wnat to open two sequences then just open them and minimize them to fit on the screen, then you can copy and paste from one to the other.

Are the timings of both sequences the same and the audio length exactly the same? I am pretty sure that they should be or you might not get the result you expect. In the early days for me, I copied and pasted a whole section from one sequence into a new sequence I was building and the result was a mess. In that case I was copying the arches from a borrowed sequence into my new sequence and pow!! my timings went haywire. I spent a couple of hours trying to correct the problem until I realized that the timings of the two sequences were not the same. I finally had to revert to my back up sequence and do the arches myself using the other as a visual guide.

I am willing to admit that I might be wrong about this, and that it was just a quirk that time for me. Either way, I won't try that again.

Just a suggestion but I always keep an original of everything I create so I can go back, open, do a SAVE AS, and try again. For example, if I obtain a shared sequence I keep it untouched in a folder called SHARED SEQUENCES under the creators name, then I have a WORK IN PROGRESS folder, then when I am finished I copy to a 2010 SHOW folder, then the entire LOR folder gets backed up to an external HDD. On the external HDD I do not overwrite the backups, but instead add them to a new folder by date, so that way I can easily recreate my work at any point in time. I do these backups when there has been any "substantial" change in my sequences.

Can you tell I am anal about backing up????

You can also copy and paste the timings if you need to. I found this helpful when modifying shared sequences or adding new tracks.

jim6918 wrote:

In the early days for me, I copied and pasted a whole section from one sequence into a new sequence I was building and the result was a mess.

How were you pasting?

By Cell or by Timing?

Seems if you already had timing marks in your new sequence and you pasted by "Cell", it would not have done anything to your timing marks.

jimswinder wrote:

jim6918 wrote:
In the early days for me, I copied and pasted a whole section from one sequence into a new sequence I was building and the result was a mess.

How were you pasting?

By Cell or by Timing?

Seems if you already had timing marks in your new sequence and you pasted by "Cell", it would not have done anything to your timing marks.

Jeez, Jim, I can't remember what I had for breakfast yesterday, and i usually have the same thing.

Since I save everything, as I said above, I went back and found the OP's sequence. It was All I want for Christmas. I now notice (after a whole year as an expert) that the OP's timings (cell width) are not a set time. It appears that he drug (dragged) the cell width around for some particular reason. When I copied and pasted the arches, it also copied the altered cell widths and superimposed them over my set .10 timings. Now to answer your question as to wehter I pasted by cell or timing, I CRS, can't remember doo doo.

I don't consider myself an expert sequencer by any stretch of the imagination, but I have found that in the long run, it has for me turned out easier just to use the shared sequences as more of a visual guide than a template.

My way around a timing difference issue when you copy and paste is alot of the time a fade or other effect will start in the middle of a cell. If you adjust like intensity, etc the entire cell will be changed and the starting point now will be at the beginning of that cell so you might not have as smooth of chase. I start with a fixed grid of at least .05 which is 20 cells per second or smaller and do the pasting to that. Now when you change stuff up like intensity you are working with a lot smaller segment that it's easier to be spot on where things start and stop. But I've copied sequences where some of the timings are almost a full second. The reason by the way I need to do a lot of intensity changes is the sequence I'm pasting part of will have lights at fades of 100 to 0. Unless you are on top of the incandescent light it becomes virtually undectable to the human eye at less than 15% so I don't waste that space and can pop something else on so sequences on the screen at least look tighter. Most won't notice it outside but a lot of us can after while. But the bigger difference is on elements that I've switched to LED's. I bought quite a few commercial grade from CDI this summer and they are full on at the 70-75% range and off at about 10%. Using a fade for an incandescent on a string of LED's just doesn't look right in most cases.

Lenny

P.S. I've also had 3 or 4 sequences open at a time for the same song.