Light-O-Rama Forums

LOR S2 version 2.8.X unstable with windows XP

aidesigner

My laptop has Windows XP and exhibits S2 stability issues. When I use the software on a Windows 7 machine there are no issues.

Between each S2 Version installation I made sure to uninstall and used the LOR registry wipe utility. I did not use the windows cleaner tools as Microsoft indicates it sometimes has unwanted side effects on other apps.

To produce the crash I load a 64 channel sequence and then use the scroll bars to scroll back and forth quickly. The system will usually crash in a few minutes with a dialog box indicating S2 has encountered a issue and has to close. Also I can just preform general editing, but the crash sometimes takes a while.

After the crash S2 provides low level dump information which I can provide if necessary.

Experiments:
2.7.6 - Stable
2.8.6->2.8.12 - Eventually crashes

Thanks,

I would suggest making sure that your XP computer is up to date with Windows Update, and also possibly checking whether your graphics card's driver has an available update (the graphics underwent a major overhaul between 2.7 and 2.8).

I would be interested in seeing the "low level dump information". Please send it to me, at bob@lightorama.com. Thanks.

aidesigner wrote:

To produce the crash I load a 64 channel sequence and then use the scroll bars to scroll back and forth quickly.

Then don't scroll back and forth quickly. Sorry, could not resist. :cool:

I just noticed that my 'show machine' exhibits an odd problem when the LOR Control Panel is running. The UI randomly freezes for several seconds, then comes back to life. The mouse remains responsive, but nothing can be clicked, dragged, or anything else. If I unload the LOR Control Panel, the problem goes away. Weird thing is, ZaraRadio is running too, and the music plays uninterrupted, although the ZaraRadio UI is also affected.

XP SP3 on a 2GB Dell with a 2.8Gz CPU

Bob,

I just sent you an email on the low level details you requested. The crashes are now happening almost immediately when I start playing a sequence or doing editing. Presumably it is because the amount of information in the sequence has increased. As a reminder I have downloaded/uninstalled/installed all the versions of LOR multiple times and stability was lost in 2.8.6 and up.

I have figured out I can play the large sequence if I minimize the Sequence Editor window and just leave the Animation window open. I have repeated this experiment many times with the same result. Observation seems indicates that crashes are proportional to the amount of stuff being displayed/updated by the graphics card.

I have no choice but to go back to 2.7.6 as I have to use my laptop away from home. Note I have a work issued laptop so I have no control over graphics drivers or windows updates.

Please advise...

Thanks,

Go with what Bob tells you.. I am running 2.8.12 on three machines. My home computer for designing, my laptop for installation and my show computer for actually running the show. All machines are running XP Pro with SP 3 and all the latest updates and upgrades. Two out of three machines are running AMD Dual Core processors and all three have been rock steady running LOR.

I just sent you an email on the low level details you requested.

I don't think that I have received such an email. Could you please resend it, and be explicit about what it refers to (i.e. this thread)? Thank you.

Bob,

I just recent the email using another account. Please respond on the using the LOR forum or PM.

Again every indication is the crash occurs when S2 is doing a lot of graphical updates. For example playing a large sequence while the Sequence editor and Animation windows are active...

Thanks,

aidesigner wrote:

Please respond on the using the LOR forum or PM.

I had sent you an email in response, but since I just saw this, I'll post a general summary. Please see the email for details.

The crash is happening inside of what I believe to be your graphics card's driver. I would suggest updating your graphics card's driver.