Light-O-Rama Forums

Using My Computer as a Small PA System...Possible?

jimswinder

I was wanting to do some karaoke songs this year set to my lights, and thought it would not be a problem using my Computer as a small PA system.

I am using a Mobile Pre USB as my sound card as it allows me to plug in several mics.

I use this to record anything I need with Audacity with no problems.

But for some reason I thought I could use the same set-up to do a "live" broadcast, but last night could not get it to work.

So am I crazy for thinking I could do something like this...or do I need some special software to make it work?

EDIT:

Just to be clear, I am NOT wanting to stream live via the internet...just over my FM Transmitter and outdoor speakers.

Attached files 218957=12163-mobile pre usb.jpg

Im really not sure exactly what you are trying to do with the pc. Are you trying to "hear" the sound out of your computer speakers ?- it sounds like you have an AMP connected to speakers outside, and your computer is acting as a small audio mixer.

I THINK your m-audio box has 2 or 3 mic inputs you are trying to send to your speakers and FM transmitter.

The only thing your PC is doing is acting as an audio mixer. The reason you dont hear the microphone is by default, its not sent out the "line out" jack.

I attached a screen shot of where to change this in windows 7. There is a similar option for Windows XP (open volume icon on task bar, I think its under advanced properties) its basically 1 volume control for playback and 1 for recording - find the microphone entries, and make sure they are "selected" and not muted.

But really, if you just want to "hear stuff live" - you should take the Pc out of the loop. You want a small 2 or 4 chanel audio mixer. Gutiar Center (or a pawn shop) should have some starting around 50.00. You run the microphones into it, and then connect the output to the amp for oyur speakers and your FM transmitter.

See the attached screen shot - check that box, and you will hear the mic input via the computer "line out" jack.

Attached files 218962=12164-audio.JPG

gizmomkr wrote:

Im really not sure exactly what you are trying to do with the pc. Are you trying to "hear" the sound out of your computer speakers ?- it sounds like you have an AMP connected to speakers outside, and your computer is acting as a small audio mixer.

**Yes, I have an amp for my outside speakers. I have a "Y" connected to my speaker output from my computer. One set goes to my amp (outside speakers) the other to my FM Transmitter**

I THINK your m-audio box has 2 or 3 mic inputs you are trying to send to your speakers and FM transmitter.

**Yes...2 mic inputs.**

I attached a screen shot of where to change this in windows 7. There is a similar option for Windows XP (open volume icon on task bar, I think its under advanced properties) its basically 1 volume control for playback and 1 for recording - find the microphone entries, and make sure they are "selected" and not muted.

**Had done that last night..and I am running Windows 7**

But really, if you just want to "hear stuff live" - you should take the Pc out of the loop. You want a small 2 or 4 chanel audio mixer. Gutiar Center (or a pawn shop) should have some starting around 50.00. You run the microphones into it, and then connect the output to the amp for oyur speakers and your FM transmitter.

**That's what I thought I would have to do...but will I still be able to mix the "live" mic with the playing of my LOR sequences?**

See the attached screen shot - check that box, and you will hear the mic input via the computer "line out" jack.

**I will double check to make sure I have that checked...like I said, the mic works when recording with Audacity, but doesnot come thru my "line out" from the computer. I will have to look more closely because I don't remember seeing anywhere a check box for a "line out" jack.**

Could you email me those screen shots? They are kinda hard to see on the forum.

Thanks!!!

jimswinder@hotmail.com

I'll e-mail the screen shot, but the KEY is to open the Recording Device Properties, then microphone properties, go to the "listen" tab

Check the "listen to this device" box, and look at the drop down menu "Playback Thru this Device" IF you have multiple sound cards in your pc, you will need to select the device that actually has the cable connected to it. (your list probably has 2 or 3 entries, try them)

That should get things working for you, But - I still feel that a small mixer is a better option. You are looking for a 4 chanel mixer. I would go with something like this little guy: Behringer XENYX 502 - http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/421979-REG/Behringer_502_XENYX_502_Compact.html. I also like the Behringer Eurorack UB802 Mixer - just a couple bucks more, and will accept 2 low-z mic's

You would connect your microphones to inputs 1-2, (could take up to 3 mic's) then connect the line out from the computer to the RCA jacks (inputs 4-5). Finally you connect the output from the mixer to your AMP & FM Transmitter.

You can play songs form the pc, and adjust song, and each microphone volume seperately - Its fairly cheap (saw them for 25 used) and is the best tool for what you are trying to do.

gizmomkr wrote:

That should get things working for you, But - I still feel that a small mixer is a better option. You are looking for a 4 chanel mixer. I would go with something like this little guy: Behringer XENYX 502 - http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/421979-REG/Behringer_502_XENYX_502_Compact.html. I also like the Behringer Eurorack UB802 Mixer - just a couple bucks more, and will accept 2 low-z mic's

You would connect your microphones to inputs 1-2, (could take up to 3 mic's) then connect the line out from the computer to the RCA jacks (inputs 4-5). Finally you connect the output from the mixer to your AMP & FM Transmitter.

Thanks Adam..appreciate all your help!!

I will probably pick one up on the way home since I go right by a music store...

Stopped by the music store and he thought it sounded like my problem was a driver since this set up had worked with my Windows XP.

So downloaded the driver for Windows 7 (which I thought I had already done) and now it i working.

Sometimes we miss the basics. My wifes dryer quit working last week so I went and purchased a new one. Plugged it in and it did not work.

Hummmm, did I check the power?

Yes, the circuit breaker had tripped. Reset and now it works. I was able to return the dryer and put the original back in service and it has been working fine since. I just blew an entire afternoon on a simple fix.

Sometimes we forget to do the basics first. :shock: