Light-O-Rama Forums

Separate channels for 3 wire bi-color LED rope light

khawes

I'm looking at the 3 wire bi-colors spools of LED rope light:

http://www.christmaslightsetc.com/p/3-Wire-12-inch-13mm-Chasing-Bi-Color-BlueRed-Rope-Light-150ft-UL-Listed--17385.htm

I'm wondering if anyone has build a customer power connector to power the Blue & Red separately. According to the manufacturer the "chasing controller" they sell can be set for steady burn for just blue or just red. So I would guess it's possible.

Any pointers on trying it out, If I were up for experimenting?

If its like the standard ropelight, the jacket has three (really six) leads embedded in it, you push the sharp pointed connector into the jacket to make contact with the wires, then plug the end into a controller.

You did notice each cut section is at 48"? means each piece can be no shorter than 4'..

This page on their site has the connectors for the rope light this company sells.

What you want to do is very common, I used to do it all the time back when I used a lot of rope light in my display.

TJ Hvasta wrote:

Should be this one..  http://www.christmaslightsetc.com/p/3-Wire-13mm-12-inch-Invisible-Splice-Connector--14977.htm

The other thing is over on PC, Chuck has a page that show how to do away with those pesky expensive connectors..   http://planetchristmas.com/RopeLight.htm

Thanks for the pointers. I hope now All I have to do is figure out which of the 3 wires in the rope is neutral and then be very careful building a power cord with two plugs that share can share the neutral wire. I experiment on a 4' section and a cheap extension cord first, before risking the rest of the rope & my LOR. :D

I'll try to remember to take pictures of my little adventure.

khawes wrote:

building a power cord with two plugs that share can share the neutral wire.

I would recommend not doing it that way because it can be dangerous. Instead, I would remove the pigtail outlets for the 2 channels from the LOR controller, and wire your own 3-conductor pigtail, connecting it to the neutral and 2 channels. You can use the female rope connector, or just a 3-pin Molex connector.

Steven wrote:

khawes wrote:
building a power cord with two plugs that share can share the neutral wire.

I would remove the pigtail outlets for the 2 channels from the LOR controller, and wire your own 3-conductor pigtail, connecting it to the neutral and 2 channels.  You can use the female rope connector, or just a 3-pin Molex connector.

I suppose another option would be to wire my tree directly to the controller, since I'm basically dedicating it to the cause. Just couldn't use it for Halloween too