Light-O-Rama Forums

Save Error

Bob Foster

I get this when I try to save a sequence. Any suggestions?

---------------------------
Error Saving File
Error saving file... do you want to try to save to another file name?

Detail: Invalid procedure call or argument
Yes No Cancel

Bob, I've had the same thing several times. I just rename it and it saves with no problem, don't know why it gives the error.

I'm not sure that this is the problem, but it's possible that one of your standard Windows files has somehow become unregistered, and Windows no longer knows how to get to it. Please try the following:

(1) Stop all running programs, including LOR programs.

(2) Open up a command prompt window. You can typically find the icon to start one up under the "Accessories" menu of your computer's Start menu.

If you are running an operating system where it matters, do so "as administrator" - that is, instead of starting the command prompt window by double-clicking on the command prompt icon, right-click on the icon, and select "Run as Administrator" from the popup menu.

(3) In the command prompt window that opens up, type the following two lines:

cd c:windowssystem32
regsvr32 scrrun.dll

Note the following:

(A) There is a space on the first line between "cd" and "c:windowssystem32".

(:) There is a space on the second line between "regsvr32" and "scrrun.dll".

© There are no other spaces anywhere else on either line.

(D) The slashes in the first line are backslashes (""), not forward slashes ("/").

After typing those two lines, a message box should pop open, saying something like "RegisterDllServer32 in scrrun.dll succeeded". I'm not sure if that's the exact phrasing, but it should definitely say "succeeded", or "successful", or something like that. If it does not, please let me know exactly what it says, word for word.

After that, open up the Sequence Editor, and try again.

It said suceeded, so I opened up the Sequence Editor picked "New Animation" filled out the author portion, 160 channels, 4:02:00 (length of the song I am trying to add) and clicked ok. Tried to "Save As" something and it gives me the same error message. I'll try to download the latest version again tonight on our desktop and see if it works there. I have been trying to work off of our new laptop. I am still clueless as to why it will not save any new sequence. I can edit an existing sequence and it saves fine but anything new it will not save.

I had though about trying to open an existing sequence and change the media to the new song and save it as something new but I don't know how to edit the length of the sequence after it has been set. If I can do that I may try that too. If you can tell me how to edit the length of the sequence after it has been set.

You can edit the length of a track via the Edit menu's "Change Total Time" item. If done on a musical sequence (as opposed to an animation sequence), changing the time on one track automatically changes it on all others, too.

That's strange that it will let you save changes to existing files, but not save new files.

Perhaps it's defaulting to a different directory, and you don't have permission to write into that directory, or something like that? I would expect a different error message, but it might be worth a shot anyway: Create a new sequence, try to save it, but save it in some directory other than the default. I suggest trying to save it to your Desktop - that certainly exists, and I can't imagine that you wouldn't have permission to write to it.

bob wrote:

You can edit the length of a track via the Edit menu's "Change Total Time" item. If done on a musical sequence (as opposed to an animation sequence), changing the time on one track automatically changes it on all others, too.

That's strange that it will let you save changes to existing files, but not save new files.

Perhaps it's defaulting to a different directory, and you don't have permission to write into that directory, or something like that? I would expect a different error message, but it might be worth a shot anyway: Create a new sequence, try to save it, but save it in some directory other than the default. I suggest trying to save it to your Desktop - that certainly exists, and I can't imagine that you wouldn't have permission to write to it.

I am using a musical sequence, sorry. So if I change the length will it mess up my other songs.

I have tried to save under different directories like you mentioned and it does the same thing,... I need a 5 year old to show me what I'm doing wrong (no offense intended toward you, sometimes I feel completely computer illiterate). I had problems last year and figured out this year it was due to the bit rate of the songs, one of these years I'll figure all this out.

I am using a musical sequence, sorry. So if I change the length will it mess up my other songs.

It won't affect any of your other songs. I was just saying that if you have multiple tracks in a single sequence, it will automatically change the length of all those tracks in that sequence. And that's a good thing - it's the way it should be. And it won't affect your other sequences at all.

If you're not using multiple tracks in a single sequence, then what I said doesn't matter. And if you are, then I was just saying "it will work the way it should", not "watch out for this quirk".

I downloaded the newest version to my desktop and it is doing the same thing, so I opened an existing sequence and changed the total time, changed the media and it will save. It may take me a little longer but I can at least keep sequencing. It still bugs me though.

• 2 weeks later...

TEST...I wish I had done that suggestion earlier, I don't know what the deal is but I had problems last year with songs not playing and this now this year. Now, when I open the Simple Show Builder it is giving me another error message:

There was a problem attemting to create the mp3 show.

Current Activity:

Error was: Bad File name or number

I have completely uninstalled LOR and reinstalled it and this will not stop. I am so frustrated with all the problems I have had I'm almost ready to give up.

Ricky Parker wrote:

TEST...I wish I had done that suggestion earlier, I don't know what the deal is but I had problems last year with songs not playing and this now this year. Now, when I open the Simple Show Builder it is giving me another error message:

There was a problem attemting to create the mp3 show.

Current Activity:

Error was: Bad File name or number

I have completely uninstalled LOR and reinstalled it and this will not stop. I am so frustrated with all the problems I have had I'm almost ready to give up.

Do you have another computer that you can try this own? Are you using S2 ver 2.8.12 ?