Light-O-Rama Forums

FM Transmitter

jmraider

I have the whole house 2.0 Fm Transmitter. Is there any tricks to make the signal stronger or what end of the FM spectrum is the best to use. I have tried extending the antenna and even putting the transmitter in the garage, but no matter where I put it the signal in my car is fuzzy and weak. I even tried both my cars. Any advice, help or recommendation for a better transmitter.

In the battery compartment is a small white sticker. Peel it off and there is a switch that will boost the power a bit. I got this from one of their techs when I called with a differant question (I have mine in a plastic box under my eves) and it work for about 3-4 houses up and down my street.

I found I got the best outside reception by putting mine near the window - I have heard from others of running a antenna cable outside from the unit to an exterior antenna to boost the signal

I have been trying to narrow down the best option for an FM Transmitter. Does any one have any suggestions or advice on what has worked for them?

I was comparing the Wholehouse FM Transmitter which LOR has recommended as well as the V6000 mobile black box. If there is another that has worked better for you, please let me know.

Thanks.

Ok lets make it 2 in 2. I will also say that I love my E4000 from Mobile Black Box. BTW this is stereo where as the 6000 is mono. Although the 6000 you can adjust the power out and you can not with the 4000. But by putting an attenuator on it. You can lower the power level to a safer level (aka Gman does not pay you a visit).

Another vote for EDM-LCD. Going on its third year and after building a tru-match antenna for it this summer it sounds better than ever!

I went with the TX-99E HLLY VILLA 0.5W PLL FM Transmitter. Plenty on Ebay for $69 + Ship ($96) and came with several antennas, power supply, fully assembled, 50ft Coax antenna cable etc... I don't use the antenna cable I just put the antenna directly onto the unit and from my basement get well down the block.

Just another low cost option.

Thank you all for your input. It looks like the EDM is a kit only. Am I correct in reading their website? Although it doesn't look like soldering is that difficult, it is probably not something I want to attempt my first year and so close to the holiday.

thanks again and I am looking forward to getting everything up.....I'm running out of room in my house. :D

4hoogies wrote:

It looks like the EDM is a kit only. Am I correct in reading their website? Although it doesn't look like soldering is that difficult, it is probably not something I want to attempt my first year and so close to the holiday.

The EDM is a "kit" only from the standpoint of soldering three wires to the power connector. Takes maybe 2 minutes?

I honestly don't see much if any difference between the 10mw and 100mw setting. Seams like there should be but I didn't notice it. Given that I run it at 10mw with a good antenna and I have solid coverage two blocks "plus" :P in any direction.

As for broadcasting with dead air, I started broadcasting over a month ago with Christmas music and had Kevin record some voice overs for it so they would know who was broadcasting.