Light-O-Rama Forums

North Pole - pics / sugestions.

gizmomkr

Im working on my North Pole (no jokes please)

Im using 2 " PVC for the base, Red Electric tape for the stripe, and probably a glass globe on top.

I cant quite decide if my globe should be silver, or white. If I go with white, I'm going to light it from inside the globe. Probably also hang a sign off it that reads "North"

Anyone have pics of there's - Id like to see what others have done before I decide.

Just a comment about glass globes: I had bought 2 just to play with while I was working on my 8 poles (all I could find locally), and managed to break them both before I ever had the poles put together. And knowing how I treated these in storage, I know they wouldn't have lasted long there. You may have better luck locally (city folk!), but I ended up getting these: http://www.1000bulbs.com/product/8056/3201-50650.html

You may have legit reasons for going with glass, just floating a balloon out there for anyone thinking of going the beautiful North Pole route...

Thanks for the pics - they really help. I think im going to do the lighted globe. I LOVE the idea of Acrylic. I didnt want to use glass, but it was all I could find. Was the acrylic in the lighting asile at your stores ?

Thats where I got mine, but I should say that I had to go to 3 Home Depots to get them. They weren't the easiest to find. There are several places online you can get them...cheap too.

gizmomkr wrote:

Thanks for the pics - they really help. I think im going to do the lighted globe. I LOVE the idea of Acrylic. I didnt want to use glass, but it was all I could find. Was the acrylic in the lighting asile at your stores ?

Yea...it was over with the outdoor post lights and spotlights. Mine looks really cool with the multi color leds in it but you can't really tell from the pic.

Dan - yours looks quite nice as well.

When you guys do the larger stripes - are you using 1 or 2" red tape, or paint ?

I dont want to go any larger with my pole because I would need a thicker stripe, and the regular red electric tape was easy to pick up - I'd probably have to order anything thicker, and I dont even want to consider paint. (I just suck at painting)

Now to go dig a hole for my pole.

gizmomkr wrote:

When you guys do the larger stripes - are you using 1 or 2" red tape, or paint ?

When I did mine, I taped the parts I wanted white (with wide masking/painters tape), spray painted the pole red, then peeled the tape off to expose the white part.

You could also consider running another line of the red tape next to the one you have, maybe even overlap it a little. It would leave a seam - but you work with what you have available!

btw, everyones poles look great from above.

gizmomkr wrote:

I traded the Glass for Acrylic - I dont want to slice someone if it fell over....

I threw a CFL Bulb inside it, and am quite happy with the results.

If you are planning on controlling that with a LOR controller, that CFL bulb is going to cause you some problems from what I have read on these forums.

kzaas wrote:

gizmomkr wrote:
I traded the Glass for Acrylic - I dont want to slice someone if it fell over....

I threw a CFL Bulb inside it, and am quite happy with the results.

If you are planning on controlling that with a LOR controller, that CFL bulb is going to cause you some problems from what I have read on these forums.

I was just going to say that!! Be careful with the LOR controller and CFL bulbs. They don't get along well.

Here's mine, 2" pvc, wife found a faceted glass ball (gives a prizm effect when lit). Base was a 2'x2' ply, with a 1"x2" for support. Taped it off and spray painted the red stripe. A set of 100ct multi's was inside the globe. Drilled a 1" hole into vertical pipe for the crossbar, the balls on the end were pingpong balls, the sign was just coro, hung with zip ties.

Attached files 218351=12132-NorthPolePix.jpg