Light-O-Rama Forums

Wrapping up ext cords a little too fast...

jjdurrant

C'mon I know you have all done it.. putting away my Halloween display today and was wrapping cords too fast.. one plug came back an smacked me right in the crotch biscuits... OUCH! :shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock:

:)

Ditto!:shock:

It doesn't seem to matter what I do. Almost every time, the same thing happens. If this keeps happening, I'll have to consider trying out for soprano in the Viennese Boys Choir.

Maybe if I'd just made my extension cords a foot and a half shorter . . . . . ? Ahh, but then it would just smack me in the knees!

Today is the first day of Christmas set up, what are you putting cords away for?
Serves you right...

Wait until January when you are trying to loosen them out of a snow drift. My friend One-Eyed-Jack can tell you stories about that!

Maybe the manufacture needs to put another warning label on the cord warning all about the potential hazard! :shock: They tell me that the D&D coffee in the cup is hot. :D

Been there - done that. Ouch!

I dont know how to explain it but, if you know anyone that does Hotel AV or AV Rental services - ask them to show you the over-under cord wrap.

A lot of peopple use the palm of hand to elbo wrap - IT WILL RUINE your cords.

The over / under allows the cable to follow the way it was rolled off the line. It prevents the cord from kinking and keeps them "flat" when you unroll them

a well wrapped cord can be "tossed" and should unravel

/end of cord wrapp rant. (sorry - Im an x-AV guy, other av guys understand)

I've always rolled mine like a lasso, rolled the cord in my hand as it's looped to keep it flat, like it came from the factory/store. Yeah, 'takes longer than palm/elbow loops, but doesnt harm the cord.

Not sure what is worse....getting hit in the face or the family jewels. I've whipped a cord around a reel so fast it came up and wacked me pretty good on the side of the face. :D

When I first started doing sound for bands, the over under wrap was the first thing I learned for mike cords and cables. That's the only way I ever wrap cords and have taught my family to do it that way too.