Light-O-Rama Forums

History behind Christmas light shows

Austen

Austen wrote:

Does anyone know the history behind these shows
Matthew 1:18-25; Matthew 2:1-12; Luke 1:26-38; Luke 2:1-2
Such as, who was the first person to do this?

**God**

What year?

**00 B.C.**

etc..?

**Star Over Bethlehem...**

jimswinder wrote:

Austen wrote:
Does anyone know the history behind these shows?

**God**

What year?

**00 B.C.**

etc..?

Yeah, that just made my day! :)

Guest Don Gillespie

jimswinder wrote:

Austen wrote:
Does anyone know the history behind these shows

**God**

What year?

**00 B.C.**

etc..?

And I always thought Jim Winder started this as from what hear he is older than dirt LOL :):D:D

Don Gillespie wrote:

And I always thought Jim Winder started this as from what hear he is older than dirt LOL :D:D:D

I am older than dirt...but not older than the Creator of dirt... :)

Forgoing the above displays, I will attempt a response. Light displays have been around as long as Christmas lights have been around.

That being said, you would have to review how creative people have made light shows.

Using relays, switches and tons of cable, the earliest shows weren't shows at all but rapidly blinking lights flashing to fast paced music to make it appear they were in sync.

Using Dasher and other programs, innovations were made.

Using LOR and Animated Lighting, progress measured in terms of light years were made.

Who had the first LOR system? Dan Baldwin.

hope this helps

Guest Don Gillespie

Dale W wrote:

jimswinder wrote:
Dale W wrote:

that's what I said...God... :P
My hero!

Austin you will notice that these two guys are kissing someones you know what in hopes of getting a great deal on their next purchase, why why why didn't I think of that LOL :D

Don Gillespie wrote:

Dale W wrote:
jimswinder wrote:
Dale W wrote:

that's what I said...God... :P
My hero!

Austin you will notice that these two guys are kissing someones you know what in hopes of getting a great deal on their next purchase, why why why didn't I think of that LOL :D

HAHA!

Don Gillespie wrote:

Sorry...I don't kiss butts......well...maybe a few "cheeks"... :P

Funny now that I think about it - I have never read a post about Dan's display.

I wonder if there are pictures of Dan's display some place. Or is Dan so busy running the company that he no longer has time for a display of his own. I dont even have a company to run and I barely find the time.

We added our first Helper Elf to the family last year, so I cant wait untill he is old enough to share the addiction - I mean "Joyus Holiday Spirit and Fun" Yeah.... thats it.

gizmomkr wrote:

I wonder if there are pictures of Dan's display some place. Or is Dan so busy running the company that he no longer has time for a display of his own. I dont even have a company to run and I barely find the time.

We added our first Helper Elf to the family last year, so I cant wait untill he is old enough to share the addiction - I mean "Joyus Holiday Spirit and Fun" Yeah.... thats it.

That is the BIGGEST problem of all!!! No there isn't time to do a display anymore although we not have our hands into 10,000+ displays at Christmas time. My biggest regret is that there simply is not time to do a display because business is totally insane during the holidays. Here is a video of the last time I put up a display. It was smaller than previous years... the 35', 40,000 light mega tree is missing and the video misses about 30% of what was there.

http://www.lightorama.com/Videos/DB-20051218.wmv

PS: we no longer live in that house...

Also here is a link to a bit of history about our display... The website has never finished and not been updated since 2001: http://www.tl2000.com/pages/History.html

I started working on designing LOR about that time. We Incorporated in early 2003...

Dan

LightORamaDan wrote:

I started working on designing LOR about that time. We Incorporated in early 2003..

Wanna sell that "Chime-O-Matic"!!!!!

LightORamaDan wrote:

gizmomkr wrote:

That is the BIGGEST problem of all!!! No there isn't time to do a display anymore although we not have our hands into 10,000+ displays at Christmas time. My biggest regret is that there simply is not time to do a display because business is totally insane during the holidays. Here is a video of the last time I put up a display. It was smaller than previous years... the 35', 40,000 light mega tree is missing and the video misses about 30% of what was there.

Also here is a link to a bit of history about our display... The website has never finished and not been updated since 2001: http://www.tl2000.com/pages/History.html

I started working on designing LOR about that time. We Incorporated in early 2003...

Dan

Wow Dan.. Amazing story. Amazing display. I wish you still did it, but its understandable that this season is probably 10xs more busy for you. ha

I love how you turned the house into a gingerbread house! And you made everything!

Very cool!

LightORamaDan wrote:

That is the BIGGEST problem of all!!! No there isn't time to do a display anymore

Sounds like some of us need to spend Thanksgiving weekend at Dan's house and get some lights up for him...

he must be suffering some horrible "Christmas Display" withdrawals by now!!

LightORamaDan wrote:

gizmomkr wrote:

Dan

Awsome Dan !

Guest Don Gillespie

PaulXmas wrote:

LightORamaDan wrote:
gizmomkr wrote:

Dan

Awsome Dan !
Ditto but I am really glad you started this buisness otherwise we wouldn't be doing what we are doing at this time of the year, the question I have for you is did you ever expect to see so many people that have the same passion about Christmas as you did or do??

Amazing story Dan! reminds me of a former loandlord I had that 2 full time jobs and only got 4 hrs sleep a night. Everytime you'd see him he looked frazled. I can picture you this way doing setup :( I wold be interested in hearing the stats on the July sale: how many orders, biggest order, how many winners etc...