Light-O-Rama Forums

Importing new channels lists to old sequences

brianfox

Sorry if this has already been asked to death..

This year, my number of channels EXPLODED from 208 to over 600. I have a new channel list, and want to import it to my existing sequences from last year.

Last year, when I went from 160 to 208 channels, it took me several days to MANUALLY update the sequences, because LOR did not have any intelligence behind its import tool.

Is there a better way to do this? I wish LOR supported a translation list (old CH to new CH, or old Name to new Name).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

What specifically went wrong with the import last year?

If you had been using multiple tracks, exporting/importing sequences with multiple tracks was problematic, but we made improvements to it in version 2.4.10 (which came out a bit over a year ago). You can read a description of what has changed about it here (click on "What's New in Version 2.4.10"; it's the first entry in that section):

http://lightorama.com/help/index.html?whats_new.htm

You mentioned that you have a new channel list. I am guessing that you mean you have a sequence that has your channels set up the way you want? If so, have you tried exporting from there and importing into another sequence? If so, did something undesired occur? If so, what?

I have a new channel list, but no sequences with that list. I added many new channels and now use RGB channels and tracks (I used neither last year). Honestly, I have not tried importing this new list into an old sequence yet. Meybe I will be pleasantly surprised at how well it works. On the surface, it sounds like this is asking way too much of LOR - how is it supposed to handle my renamed channels or my merging of old channels into a new RGB channel?

I feel that a big enhancement for the software would be to have a way to translate one channel list to another.

Let me give you an example:

Last year, I had a row of 20 candy canes that used 3 channels to make them chase. This year, I have a channel for each candy cane.

The channels last year were called CC1, CC2, CC3. This year, they are CC01 through CC20. I'd like to make a table that LOR could read that has a list of OLD=NEW channel translations. So, I could make a list CC1=CC01, CC2=CC02, CC3=CC03, CC1=CC04. Notice that I translated CC1 to CC01 and CC04 (and CC07, CC10, etc). This would allow me to translate my old channel list to be fully compatible with my new channel list. I could use the translate function and immediately be able to run last year's sequences with my new display. I wouldn't be feeling the impact of independent channels on the candy canes until I resequenced, but at least I'm starting from where I left off last year.

So understand where I'm coming from - I have a brand new channel list. It contains all of my old channels (maybe many have been renamed, though) plus a ton of new ones. I've already created my visualization of my new channels in the animator. What I want to do now is assign my old (sequenced) channels to my new ones. In the old days, I'd import my new channel list into the old sequence, but then I'd have to rearrange everything to make it work. What I'm asking for is a single translation assignment that does the work for me. It would take any guess-work out of LOR and hand control to the user.

What I am envisioning from LOR is perhaps a "Channel Translation" screen where two channel lists are analyzed. The left side is the old list and the right side is the new list. The "new side" is fixed - all channels are listed - and there is a corresponding blank entry on the "old side" for every channel on the new side - maybe LOR pre-populates the translation with what it "thinks" is correct. The user then drags old channel names that will be translated to new channels. The user can drag the same old channel to multiple lines.

I know I'm jumping the gun here, and need to first see how the the import works in the new software.

Your track 1 has to be the same order in the channel config being imported as it is in the existing (last years)

What some do is they start with last years channel configuration and make all there changes in track 1. Keeping count as to how many channels they added between last years channels. They then export that channel config. Open up a sequence you want to use from last year and add in ALL new channels in between the channels you used from last year. Then do your import. All the channels will line up, if you did your adding new channels correctly.

The way I do it is open a sequence from last year. Duplicate track 1 (which has all my channels listed in it. Make all my changes/additions in this duplicated track. Leaving track 1 exactly as it was last year. After getting the 'duplicated track' the way I want it for this years channel config I export that channel config. Now I am ready to open the sequences I want to use from last year and import the new channel config into it. I can now delete track 1 (last years channel list). You can do whatever you want to the channels in the duplicated track except for delete them from the sequence. If you delete them they will be deleted from the 1st track and mess up the import.

Sounds complicated while typing it out, but after you get the hang of it its easier than manually doing it.

IF you already made a totally new channel config not starting with last years channel line up you are sol.

They way I do it even works for combining 3 channels from last year into a RGB channel, as long as it is done in the duplicated track and not track 1.

The only other way I know of is to manually copy and past each channel from last years sequence into this years sequence.

Just read you post where you have already made all your changes to last years channel config.

So your work is not a lose you can open a sequence from last year. Duplicate track 1.

In the duplicated track just add channels in between last years channels making it match your new channel line up. Don't rename anything.

Now export that channel config. (2010-01 or what ever) You can now open a sequence from last year. First import the 2010-01 channel config. Then import the 2010 channel config you have now. If everything was in order it should be correct.

Paul,

I ran an experiment in LOR and then read your solution. Looks like we both found the same solution.

Thank you for your help.

I still think the Channel Translation table I mentioned would be a great addition to LOR...

brianfox wrote:

Paul,

I ran an experiment in LOR and then read your solution. Looks like we both found the same solution.

Thank you for your help.

I still think the Channel Translation table I mentioned would be a great addition to LOR...

I agree. It would be nice to have an easier way. There are too many variables for a 'translation table' to work.

Using a duplicate track and only making channel additions and changes in that track works like a 'channel translation table'. At least I would think.