Light-O-Rama Forums

Difference between C6 M5 5MM

motherboarddude

Brightness can vary depending on if the LEDs are wired as Full Wave or Half Wave

Depending on the brand, the C6 and M5 are usually the same LED under the plastic lens.

5MM may be the same LED as the others, but can be a very directional viewing angle due to the almost flat lens.

A lot depends on the brand, therefore I use CDI for my LEDs, and have for years.

On all of them, the total light output will vary more by brand, than by style.

The 5mm is the smallest. It is about half the size of a pencil eraser. Most 5mm are actually 5mm concave which implies that they have an inverted cone in the top, which acts as a diffuser, so that if done well, they have pretty even brightness for the half of the viewing angle where they are not obstructed by the body of the light. If you get them in full wave, from a good manufacturer, I really like these. One more advantage, is that the optical section is one piece. There is no risk of the diffuser coming unbonded from the LED, or anything getting in between to cut down lighting efficiency.

The M5 is an attempt to look more like a normal mini light. It is larger diameter than the 5mm, and about the same length as a mini light. But it is faceted, to try and show light over its whole length.

The C6 is shaped much like a C7, but smaller. It is still considerably larger than the M5. If they are all the same LED inside, the C6 will usually have the widest viewing angle, but may be dimmest, because of the largest faceted diffuser. But given some of the LED strings, they may still be pretty impressive.

Unfortunately, the best way to tell is get your hands on some samples, and be sure to check them out from a distance at night.

The letter actually stands for the style. M = mini style, C = Cone or conical and 5mm is the size of the lense. The actual LED inside is the same (at least in ours). The bigger the lense, the bigger the "apperence" of light.