Light-O-Rama Forums

Anyone know of any good ideas for bulb diffusion?

ace_master

I have multiple strings zip tied together with evenly spaced bulbs... I would like to know if anyone has any ideas for a bulb cover that could go over the different color bulbs to create a better "fade effect' between the changing colors.

I was considering cutting holes in ping pong balls and putting the lights inside them... but I fear they will have a horrible tolerance to really cold weather (and taking them down will likely damage most of them come spring...

Whatever I use doesn't have to be as thick/ diffusing as a ping pong ball... I just want to create a way to blend the lights on each string into one 'bulb' per 4" spacing instead of 3 different colored ones.

Any ideas, or experiences to share out there?

I don't know how big you are thinking about making it, but a common thing is to use dry vents. However, it is pretty big (I think 6" in diameter) but it will give you that smooth fade you are looking for. A lot of people do it with their arches. I personally like that effect.

What kind of bulbs? Glass mini lite or plastic LED?

Glass Bulbs I think the color is just painted on - no help

Plastic LED, I would use a Paasche Air Eraser to frost the bulbs.

http://www.paascheairbrush.com/cgi-bin/store/search.cgi?category=Specialty+Brushes+%26+Sets

Thay are a bit pricy, $120 for the kit But mine has lasted me forever. I have used it to frost glass and plastic before.

The bulbs I'm using are C6 and M6 sizes... (3 bulbs per cluster). Measuring tells me that each set of the C6's shouls just fit inside a ping pong ball sized object.

Ponddude wrote:

I don't know how big you are thinking about making it, but a common thing is to use dry vents. However, it is pretty big (I think 6" in diameter) but it will give you that smooth fade you are looking for. A lot of people do it with their arches. I personally like that effect.

I never thought about that... What I had in mind was something for each bulb set (RGB). because they are hanging from the eves on the house, and a tube such as you described would make the house a little awkward looking during the day time.

I will defiantly conciser the vents for future arrangements, thanks!

Drier vent tubing is a trick we use to use on stage, back in the old Disco days. A string or two of clear twinkle C7's looked pretty cool back then, or so we thought.

Nova5 wrote:

Ya know... those of you wanted to get cheap RGB rigs could use the pingpong ball type idea. drill and secure the bulbs inside it. it will act as the mixer for the colors.

Very good idea!