Light-O-Rama Forums

How do you paint pvc tube to look like a candy cane?

Ralph D

I’m full of questions tonight. last year I took my radio sign and and mounted on 4 inch pvc tubbing, it really looks nice just the way it is...BUT, I never painted the pvc and now that I’m doing lots of little things right now before set up I what to paint the pvc white and add a candy cane stripe. So do I paint it red and add a white stripe or white and add a red stripe? If you think I’m bad not being able to make up my mind about which comes first.....lol, I have no idea how to make the stripe? so can someone please tell me, with a little detail...steps, how I go about making a stripe that goes around the pcv tube.

Thanks,

Ralph

I made a north pole sign out of 6" pvc. basically the same concept.

first I cleaned the pvc with mineral spirits. which left it somewhat white, but I gave it a shot of white plastic paint just to brighten it up a bit. Then I used red Duck tape to wrap the pole.

Simply lay the pole on the table. start the tape and roll it. Give a nice even spacing too.

Looks pretty good and won't scratch off. if I do get a knick. I simply patch it with a piece of tape.

You can see it in my member picture.

I do the same as Dan on all my PVC. Clean it up good with mineral spitits or denatured alcohol and then I use Vinyl tape in red and green both. Width is dependant on size of tube. 4" for 6" tube, down to 3/4" for 1-1/2 which is as small as I go.

Lenny

A little late to the party, but maybe it was Dan last year that told me the same. But I didnt even use any paint. Just gave the PVC a good cleaning and then rolled on the red duct tape. Still looks great. BTW if you can do not cut tape till you have enough to fold over and back inside the pipe. I think this helps to keep the end from coming loose.

• 2 weeks later...

Just when I thought I had an original idea. I just made a "North Pole" using a 10' length of 4" pvc. I lightly sanded it and sprayed with a white paint to make it whiter. I used red and green duct tape. Last task is to coat it with a clear non-yellowing coat of urethane. Hopefully this will protect the paint and tape from storage/handling and the elements.

We (ok, the wife did it..) just cleaned off the Charlotte Pipe stenciling with a sander, masked off the strip and spray painted the red onto the pipe.. let it sit a couple hours, peeled off the tape, glued on the reducer at the top for the glass globe, stuffed a set of 50ct minis. I drilled a 3/4" hole for the crossbar, made the sign and we were done.. hammered a 1"x2" into the ground for the pole to slide onto..

Attached files 219133=12171-NorthPoleSantaMiniTree.jpg

Tx TJ. I was pondering how to add a "North Pole" sign. I'm stealing your idea. Hope you don't saw mine down as a result...... : )

LOL, no worries 'mate... The hole for the 1/2" pipe was either 3/4" or 1", can naught remember which.. The balls at the end were pingpong balls cut with scissors, only one end was hotglued so I could pull off the crossbar for storage..