Light-O-Rama Forums

getting the ethernet cable outside

Aixelsyd

I swore I read a post about using flat Ethernet like found on this site (http://www.vpi.us/cable-sf.html) but I can't find it. Maybe it was elsewhere.

Anyway my question is this. I need to get a cable outside and I don't want to run a long strand from the back of my house out under the garage door to the front or drill. I figure this flat cable should be able to fit under a window with it closed. However I was wondering could I just take a section of normal ethernet and just peal back the cover, flatten it, and get it through that way? It would stay twisted and I can't think of any problems with it. Just wanted to know if I'm missing something.

Thanks!

Jason

The controllers dont speak ethernet - its rs-485, and the "twist" doesnt really apply - they work fine over flat cable - phone cord, un twisted, cat-5 whatever.

I'm sure your hand flattened cable will work fine.

The twist that does the most for noise immunity, is the individual pairs twisting together, so that they alternate which wire is closer to the noise source. How the pairs twist within the bundle actually usually doesn't do much even for ethernet. What is really special for ethernet and towards cat 6, is that all the pairs are twisted at different rates.

For running through the window, the big concern is to be sure that the insulation doesn't get damaged, and that the wires don't get broken.. If your window is loose enough to ensure that, go for it.. You might run some electrical tape down the inside and outside of the flattened out section just to hold them in alignment, so they don't cross over and make a thick spot.

Me, I've just run wires the long way around. I actually have two of them, so I can test dual network during halloween. At Christmas, I collapse back to 1 network, and have the second cable as a handy spare. Eventually, I will run up through the attic, and down from the eve through conduit to right where I want both cables. Will probably run at least 4 wires, as I want the two networks, and I'll run 1 cable back through the wall to provide some hardwired ethernet on the inside at the same place.. Having at least one spare sounds like a good idea to me..

Guest wbottomley

Aixelsyd wrote:

I swore I read a post about using flat Ethernet like found on this site (http://www.vpi.us/cable-sf.html) but I can't find it.  Maybe it was elsewhere.

Anyway my question is this.  I need to get a cable outside and I don't want to run a long strand from the back of my house out under the garage door to the front or drill.   I figure this flat cable should be able to fit under a window with it closed.    However I was wondering could I just take a section of normal ethernet and just peal back the cover, flatten it, and get it through that way?  It would stay twisted and I can't think of any problems with it.  Just wanted to know if I'm missing something.

Thanks!

Jason

Unless you've read about the EthConGateway.

LOR cannot communicate E1.31 right now.

Doing a certain amount of Cat-5 installation at work, I would never try to cut the outside insulation or flatten cable. Too much chance to nick or cut individual strands.

My first year, I thought alot about how I was going to run the CAT 5 out of the house to the controllers. I was fortunate to be using a small TV room for my show computer, that was adjacent to the outside wall where my controllers were housed. I piggybacked two single gang boxes together with length of conduit, cut two holes from the inside of the house out through the siding adjacent to the controllers. I got lucky here and the cuts lined up perfectly. I installed an outdoor outlet cover on the outside, and used a switch plate cover inside. Insulated completely around with foam. Now I just snake the CAT5 from inside the house thru the boxes to the outside. A little temporary foam insulation inside seals things up nicely. When the lights come down, I pull the CAT 5 back in the house, and replace the switch cover with a blank switch plate.

Come to think of it, with the generous distances of LOR connectivity, the access to the outside of the house could be located anywhere, I just got lucky.

I admit this is a lot of work, but plan on being in this business a while and just hate "jerry-rigging" anything.

Since my show computer is in the garage, it is easy to route the cable. My display has controllers on both sides of the garage. Here's the East:
IMG_1617.JPG

...and here's the West:
IMG_1618.JPG

I have a stick build house, so I drilled a 1 inch hole thru wall next to pc, used 3/4" pvc water pipe thru wall & put caps that unscrew on both ends.. when done just screw caps back on... use bigger pipe for more wires...seal with calk & paint, nice & neat....Joe