Light-O-Rama Forums

OutSide The Box Repair Tips

rgardner518

Hello. I have several sets of 4 colored lawn stakes I use in my display. I'm having issues with the way it is designed and because of this I'm looking to "You's" for help! I have several pictures to show my issues.

Attached files 216151=12035-2.jpg

This picture shows its not easy to "just" take them appart. There is 4 screws holding them together. Times that by 4 per set and 18 total sets. That 72 to take apart. Times that by 4 screws, And 288 screws to remove in and out is ALOT! I have to remove the 4 screws each time I have to change a bulb.

Attached files 216153=12038-3.jpg

So this picture shows the issue I'm having. The two wing tips, break off ALL OF THE TIME! And once they break off, the stake is no good! They are not fixable.

My question is this: Anyone have any ideas how I can improve the stake? I cannot glue them in, because they other picture shows, I'll need to take the unit apart every time I change the bulb. And gluing prevents this.

The current unit inserts into the hole and turn 1/4 turn, and the tabs is what holds the stake to the bulb.

Attached files 216155=12039-4.jpg

Is anyone willing to comment on my issue? I need to figure out how to improve the stake, and I'm out of ideas!

You say that the clips break off, if the stake is solid, what about sanding, cutting, or grinding off the existing clip and make a new one, then use a screw and screw it to the stake. Then you can remove it or replace it anytime. Use plastic or metal, just find something and cut it to shape.

I've done things like this at work on equipment doors. Worked great.

What size is the hole in the base of the light? Cant you just use.. 3/4"(or whatever size it is) PVC and do away with the stake/wings.. I would.. I use pvc to stand up my skeletons in the yard. It works perfectly. I'd use pvc pipe to replace the stakes on those lights.

Hi,

What about just gluing (5 minute epoxy) the black part to only half of the green fixture base. The tabs can already be broken. Don't get any glue on the other half. Glue it when its apart. The screws will hold the other half together.

Also, replace the bulbs with C9 LED bulbs, they have a much longer life than the regular C9 bulbs. The C9 LEDs are a bit more expencive, but it beats taking 4 screws out every time.

I think I'm on the same page as Bret -

Cut / file off whatever is "left" when it breaks. Home depot sells "flashing" on a roll, usually in the roofing isle, sometimes around the AC / Duct work stuff.

You can cut the material with Tin Snipps (big heavy scissors)(or a dremel if you want it "Perfect") I just think it will be hard to use larger power tools on something that small.

Anyway - drill small hole thru "new metal catch" into top of steak, screw in place - & / or add glue / epoxy if you like.

One more piece of advice : (as someone who was that same set of lights) I would replace bulbs with LED's AND last year, post season sale - I bought about 3 or 4 boxes of other ramdom "pathway" light sets - they all use the same steak. I dont even plan to use the lights, but now I have about 16 extra steaks, I think I paid about 4 bucks a set.

Bret LeFevre wrote:

You say that the clips break off, if the stake is solid, what about sanding, cutting, or grinding off the existing clip and make a new one, then use a screw and screw it to the stake. Then you can remove it or replace it anytime. Use plastic or metal, just find something and cut it to shape.

I've done things like this at work on equipment doors. Worked great.

WOW, Let me first start off, with Thanks! Thanks to everyone who's help give me an idea. I'll comment on everyone's right now.

I never even thought of that, Bret! Thanks. I'm going to grab so flash I have extra of, and cut replacements. I think because of the small diameter, of the stake (1/2") I'll try to glue epoxy them on "before" they break off. In turn the tabs "should not" break off.

TJ Hvasta wrote:

What size is the hole in the base of the light? Cant you just use.. 3/4"(or whatever size it is) PVC and do away with the stake/wings.. I would.. I use pvc to stand up my skeletons in the yard. It works perfectly. I'd use pvc pipe to replace the stakes on those lights.

The hole is 1/2". I live in an area where there is alot of snow. I made a gig, that's a 10' pt 2x6 with hinges at the 5' mark. This is so I can fold them up and store them for the winter. And it help so all are lined up perfectly in a row. And every so often I have a piece of 3/4" pvc sticking up about 12". By doing this, I don't have to "stake" them in the ground, and risk breaking the stakes. and than if I need to move them I can. Refer to the first picture. The stake slides in the 3/4" pvc pipe.

So the pvc will not work as a replacement, but thanks.

Vic Fortenbach wrote:

Hi,

What about just gluing (5 minute epoxy) the black part to only half of the green fixture base. The tabs can already be broken. Don't get any glue on the other half. Glue it when its apart. The screws will hold the other half together.

Also, replace the bulbs with C9 LED bulbs, they have a much longer life than the regular C9 bulbs. The C9 LEDs are a bit more expencive, but it beats taking 4 screws out every time.

The inside bulbs are c7. I plan on doing the swap out next year. I did one set for this year to see what the difference looks like. But as for glueing. The big problem with this is this. When they get stored for the rest of the year, I "need"to be able to remove the stake in order to store then away effectively. I have between the sets I use, the new spare sets, and the damaged "part" sets, a total of about 40 sets. And with the ability to remove the stakes, I can fit them all in boxes, that take up a space no bigger than 5' high by 4' wide by 3' deep. BUT, if I glue them in so they don't come out. NOW, I need to find bigger boxes, and they will take more more to store.

Sorry, but that's not an option. I did think of this before, But store, is a big factor. But thanks for the tip.

kingsislandtechservices wrote:

how about using a dryer cord strain relief like the one pictured below, stick it inside the base first then clamp to your pvc pipe

But how would I remove it? Each year?

gizmomkr wrote:

I think I'm on the same page as Bret -

Cut / file off whatever is "left" when it breaks. Home depot sells "flashing" on a roll, usually in the roofing isle, sometimes around the AC / Duct work stuff.

You can cut the material with Tin Snipps (big heavy scissors)(or a dremel if you want it "Perfect") I just think it will be hard to use larger power tools on something that small.

Anyway - drill small hole thru "new metal catch" into top of steak, screw in place - & / or add glue / epoxy if you like.

One more piece of advice : (as someone who was that same set of lights) I would replace bulbs with LED's AND last year, post season sale - I bought about 3 or 4 boxes of other ramdom "pathway" light sets - they all use the same steak. I dont even plan to use the lights, but now I have about 16 extra steaks, I think I paid about 4 bucks a set.

Again, I think Bret's idea "just" might work. But I don't think the drilling is possible without splitting the stakes, or breaking them. But I'll try gluing them instead to the tops. I wish there was a way to mass stamp out alot, lol. I need about 170 +/- plus some spares. I'm not looking forward to cut that many out with tin snips.